People who record vocals with SM57 please help me!

arkitech

Howdy everyone,
I am new here, I have been reading alot of the threads on this forum and there is alot of usefull information. I just have a few questions about the use of the SM57 for vocal recording. I know it isnt a real good mic but its all i could afford, i also have a pretty basic LEEM preamp going into a AC'97 (shit) soundcard. I am aware that because i dont have a very good setup i will not be able to get very nice vocals but i was wondering if anybody has some tips when it comes to using the SM57 like how far away to stand, ive heard that also you have it facing sideways to you? Should i have my PC mic input volume up to the maximum? Any information would be much appreciated.

Thankyou

the sm57 is an all around good microphone. You can indeed get decent vocal with it. If you have read the sure web sight, it has been on the presidential podeum for over 30 years. Lots of people record RAP stuff with a 57.

The 57 is a TOP address mike, meaning you speak into the top of it. Don't turn it sideways. When people speak of doing this, they are talking about an "X-Y recording configuration" for guitars and such. Use it like a regular mike. The singer should remain at least 4" to 6" from the top of the mike.

if you are running it through a pre-amp, you are probably getting the best out of it also. Pre-amps do good things for dynamic mikes also.

i am not familiar with the LEEM amp but generally the purpose of the pre-amp is to raise the level of the signal from the mic and make it a LINE LEVEL.

this being true, you should send the signal into the computer soundcard as a LINE input, insted of a mic signal. The line approach is a much cleaner signal.

just so you know, the 1/8" mike input on the computer is a TRS jack. It supplies a small voltage on the ring, to provide power to the small consender mikes they use (like the cheapie boom mikes on headsets). The voltage won't hurt a mike like the SM57, but you do need to be aware that it's there.

when you record, you need to watch the input level. Most any recording program will allow you to watch the level on some type of VU or bargraph meetering system. In the digital world, you never want the signal to go into the "RED", meaning never overdrive the signal past the "0" point into the positive numbers (+1 dB). Digital distortion past the "0" point isn't pretty.

hope this helps you out a little.

Thanks

Thanks alot mate for the quick reply. was very helpfull. I have put it into my line input now and i have some decent quality. Anybody else with tips?

Last edited:
radiorickm said:
if you are running it through a pre-amp, you are probably getting the best out of it also. Pre-amps do good things for dynamic mikes also.
Every mic needs a preamp... not just dynamic mics. The preamp brings the output mic level up to a usable line level.

I have an idea

I dont know if people have done this before or not. Its just an idea though so if no one is interested thats cool. If i posted justa snippet of a wav file of some vocals recorded straight from the mic no beat no processing or anything. And whoever was willing could have a play around and see if they can get it to sound half decent. Then post what kind of settings you used? Would anybody be interested? ahah please dont flame

It takes alot of sound pressure to make that mic sound decent thats why people use it for screamin metal, guitar amps and snare. So I wouldn't be to far away from it with voice. Get close. You'll get a proximity effect, but that can be a good thing.

yeah i have a home made pop filter with the stocking and coat hanger deal. I should of been using this mic ages ago. My dad has had it sitting in his bedroom for about a year and i have been using a shitty PG48. Now i just need to work out a processing routine and ill be set

Another problem guys

When i am trying to record my vocals in cool edit pro's multitrack i have the beat on one track and set the one below to record. But for some reason the beat is also recording on the vocal track. its coming in aswell as the line input just at alot higher volume. I didnt use to have this problem when recording through Mic input. Any ideas ?

I bet you are montoring (listening) near the sm57... So the mic picks up your beats again. Use a headphone that isolates the beat and then sing...

G.

guhlenn said:
I bet you are montoring (listening) near the sm57... So the mic picks up your beats again. Use a headphone that isolates the beat and then sing...

G.
nope thats not the problem mate i have my headphones very quiet. it turns out my wave output is "bleeding" into my line input. My sound card is stuffed i think as i have tried all the mixer settings reccomended on this board, Im looking into getting an audiophile card

ahaha thats all good mate. Do you know of anyone with any audiophile soundcards for sale or anywhere on the net where they are for sale cheaper?

WOW thats really cheap. In australia they are 350 dollars. this works out to cost 139 australian dollars with the current exchange rate. My only problem is that the site only offers shipping to countries not including australia any idea mates on how to overcome this problem? aha wow this would have the be the most helpful thread i have ever subscribed to. Thank alot all

Back