Oktava Omnis or Avenson's?

leddy

I own several Oktavas and I like them. I am looking to add a pair of good omnis to my locker. I have one Earthworks omni that I love, but I have a special use for it (on my upright bass). I need another pair I can use at the same time. I was thinking about the Avenson's, then i thought about just getting a matched pair of omni caps for my existing MC012's that have cardioid caps. That would be much cheaper.

Outside of the obvious differences between cardioid and omni, are the omni Okatva caps nice? Should I just bite the bullet and go with the Avenson's?

Use would be mainly drum OH's or room mics. A smooth high end is a must. The more detailed the better, obviously.

I've never used the Avensons but I do have a pair of 012's with all three caps each. Very nice mics. I'm on a kick now where I've been using a single 012 omni as a drum overhead. Nice smooth sounding.

As much as I like the Oktavas, I would think the Avenson would be a noticeable step up. They would probably be pretty similar to your Earthworks. I know people just love those things for drums.

i've owned a pair of stapes (earlier aversons) and a pair oktava's...they are just kinda different mics...the oktava is more "small diaphragm sounding." the stapes is not. the oktava doesn't have a hyped top end either...but it's not of the measurement mic variety. the stapes does have an "etched top" when compared to "higher quality" mics like the 4006.

hm.

how to explain.

i dunno.

all due respect to averson mics i'd scope out those MSH-1a's. they sound like they're going for the the same thing as the stapes/aversons and at that price - yeow.

Mike

bigtoe said:
all due respect to averson mics i'd scope out those MSH-1a's. they sound like they're going for the the same thing as the stapes/aversons and at that price - yeow.

Mike

It's kinda funny, when timboz posted the price some may have thought, "Too cheap to be any good."

apl said:
It's kinda funny, when timboz posted the price some may have thought, "Too cheap to be any good."

I admit that crossed my mind. Though I would like to strongly say that I admire guys like Mshillarious for investing the time to try something out, and then selling at such a give-away price. That's passion.

bigtoe said:

Mike

Yeah, for less than half of the cost of the Avensons, I can get the Oktava caps and the MSH-1's.

apl said:

well... they said the same thing about the stapes when they were so cheap... and those are nice mics. :eek:

yeah - i'd buy both like yer saying and if you find yourself wanting more- then go the averson... you know? get a feel for the flavor of an omni of that type...then if you desire "better" hit the aversons and see whats shaking with them. them averson/ stapes guys are super nice peeps.

Mike

Back