Nady Drum Mics any good?

timandjes

Does anyone have any experience with Nady brand mics? I've got a set to try but I can return them. I was micing my drum set with an SM58 susbended overhead which didn't produce a desirable sound. Now, I've got this cheap Nady set, (3 pcs for $99), and the recording sounds much better. However, I'm only comparing it to my previous mis-use of the SM 58. I need to stay in the inexpensive range but I'm wondering if one or two condensers overhead might be even better or if there's really a big difference in brands from Nady to some of the more expensive names??

Better than Nothing, But not the best.

My set includes the ECM8000 overheads, At PRO 25, SM57. Not very expensive. The oveheads are best in a treated room but I can afford to treat a room with the money I saved.

I have the seven piece Nady set but instead of the overhead mics supplied with the kit I use a pair of Behringer ECM 8000's.Also on snare I use an AKG 880.The Nady kick mic does a passable job as do the tom mics.I think you can put together seperate mics that in the long run will do a better job but the Nady mics are better than I expected.If I were to do it again I would probably pass on the Nady kit and buy four mics,a sm-57 for snare(about $80),The Audio Technica they have at Eighth St for $60 (can't remember the model number off hand),and a pair of ECM8000's for overheads at around seventy dollars a pair.It all comes into a shade over $200 and I think you could get good results by just closemic'ing the snare and kick with the Behringers for overheads.

Overall I don't regret buying the Nady pac as the mics are better than I expected but I do feel that the above setup might give better results.All in all,if you like the sound you get with the Nady three pac keep them,I think they are usable.With the three piece set you might want to add a set of the Behringers for overheads and you could always try the 58 on snare and see how that sounds.

BTW,the individual mics I mentioned are pretty much the set up that Darrin says he uses.Compared to how I spent my $200 I think he went the better way.Trouble is that is comparing a couple hundred as opposed to the $99 for the kit you have.Still for a basic drum mic'ing kit I think Darrin has it covered.I may have gotten three more mics for my money but it is all about quality not quantity.

Back