Mystery Mics

JasonB93117

A friend of mine has two small, silver, microphones that say "Cedar Rapidsia Turner U.S.A" around the outside of the grill (but on the front,) and "141" on the front of the grill, in the middle. We tried them out and they sound pretty interesting. They are about 3 1/2 inches long and about an inch in diameter. They do not require phantom power, and the cords coming off of them are RCA. Any information would be appreciated, thanks - Jason

Not really much of a mystery. Turner started out making PA systems for funeral homes and building their own mics. The "Cedar Rapidsia" is not exactly correct, it should read "Cedar Rapids, IA" the IA being the two letter state abbreviation for Iowa.

When the funeral home business started dying off, the mics became popular in the 70's with ham radio hobbyists and CB'ers. IT was sold to Telex in 1979 and officially closed down shortly afterwards.

Some of the Turner mics are great for harmonica.

Thanks

Thanks for the information. I'll be sure to check the mics out on harmonica. I already used them to record acoustic guitar and vocals and got some pretty useable sounds. I'm a little worried that the high end will be too much with the harmonica but we'll see. - Jason

Back