MXL 2001 Comments/Criticisms?

Stinky

Just got the new Tape Op (Awesome as always! Thanks Larry Crane and staff!) and there's an ad for an MXL 2001 and a 603 MSRP'd at $200. I know about the great reputation of bang for buck on the 603 and others, but have found no feedback on the 2001. Anybody know anything? Rock on-Stinky

Tape Op ran an article a few months back on how to modify a 2001 very inexpensively and i heard it sounds great.......

Stay far away from it.

It's supposed to be the same mic as the Joemeek j47, and both have a reputation for being "harsh" sounding. It seems like every time I read a review or get an opinion on either mic, that dreaded "H" word keeps coming up. Not too long ago, I was busy spouting my mouth off about the Behringer B1, but I was wrong, and I'm man enough to admit it. The B1 is, ahem!, the same mic as both the meek 47 and the Marshall 2001.

It might be a decent mic if you have a vocalist who just can't seem to "cut through" a mix, no matter what you try. Maybe someone who has sort of a "bland," bassy voice that just seems to blend right in to the guitar/bass like a camelian.

Seriously, for that type of voice, the 2001 might be just the ticket. :) But for a general-purpose mic that you might actually use on a "normal" voice, just get the Marshall mxl V67. I hate to admit it, but it is just about the best deal I've seen in a while.

No, it's not as good as Harvey says, but then again, Harvey is a redneck dickweed. :) Just kidding, Harvey. You made a good call on these things.

chessrock said:
Stay far away from it.

It's supposed to be the same mic as the Joemeek j47, and both have a reputation for being "harsh" sounding. It seems like every time I read a review or get an opinion on either mic, that dreaded "H" word keeps coming up. Not too long ago, I was busy spouting my mouth off about the Behringer B1, but I was wrong, and I'm man enough to admit it. The B1 is, ahem!, the same mic as both the meek 47 and the Marshall 2001.

You may be man enough to admit it...but that wasn't the first thing that came to my mind unfortunately... Im progressively getting more amused by the group bashing as much as the manufacturers in their "end all" advertisements.

I like the mxl2001, and can show you mp3 posts were there where positive comments on it....and most likely, the listener didn't know the 2001 was the mic being used.....imagine that!!:rolleyes:

I was busy spouting my mouth off about the Behringer B1, but I was wrong, and I'm man enough to admit it. The B1 is, ahem!, the same mic as both the meek 47 and the Marshall 2001.

Actually, the Behringer B1 and meek 47 are 797 (Beijing) mikes. The MXL2001 is a Shanghai mic. The B1's transformerless too, from what specs I've been able to find. I messed with one at Mars a few days ago. 797 mikes have a bright white capsule ring as a rule; Shanghai mikes have a clear ring that doesn't show itself through the grille very prominently. Harvey had pics at one time or other....

I have a MXL2001 and a V67M, btw. Guts are more or less identical, same capsule and PCB's. Whether the transformers are identical I don't know, I wasn't ambitious enough to open the tranny cans.

I'd like to say that my V67M is better than my 2001, but frankly my two don't sound very different. The 67's got a smidgeon more midrange clarity, but that's about it.

TP

B3Nut said:
797 mikes have a bright white capsule ring as a rule; Shanghai mikes have a clear ring that doesn't show itself through the grille very prominently.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Alan Hyatt was mentioning that the B1 and the JM47 were the same mic . . . and I did hear somewhere that the 2001p was at least very similar to that model. I was a little sceptical about that, too, as the specs are noticeably different.

I have a Marshall 2001p and I'm one of the really unfortunate ones that paid $200 for it a couple years back.I would NOT pay $99 dollars for another one as I find it quite harsh.I will not say that with skill someone couldn't produce a decent product with one as with skill people can and do use what I would consider substandard equipment and get pretty amazing results sometimes but I think that is more reflective of the talent of the person rather than the equipment they used.

As mentioned there is a mod that can be done to the 2001 to make it sound substantualy better and I am definately going to do the mod to mine but I don't thimk I would buy a mic just to modify it as there are some inexpensive alternatives that sound good right out of the box for about the same money.The 603's are supposed to be killer little mics but I would buy them seperately if you're going to buy one or two and leave the 2001p alone.

Hey Bruce,I thought I remembered your saying that you have a 2001p some time ago.I was wondering if you do have one and if so if you have tried the mod.If you did do the mod I was wondering how difficult it was.I have had some limited experience with a soldering gun (not too much though)and I'm pretty good at following directions but I would like an opinion if a average smoe like me could pull it off.Thanks.

Alan Hyatt was mentioning that the B1 and the JM47 were the same mic . . . and I did hear somewhere that the 2001p was at least very similar to that model. I was a little sceptical about that, too, as the specs are noticeably different.

The Behr. B1 and JM47 are transformerless....that gets rid of one of the 2001p's main problems. Shanghai seems more into transformer-balanced mics than 797, although they do make transformerless mics like the MXL-2003. I wonder if Alan's SP B1 is based on that basic curcuit the Behr. B1 uses, but with his improved specs and insistence on tighter QC. It's doubtless going to be the one to beat at its price point.

My next mic'll probably be a C1 though, been itching to try one.

TP

Randy Yell said:
Hey Bruce,I thought I remembered your saying that you have a 2001p some time ago.I was wondering if you do have one and if so if you have tried the mod.
I haven't done the mod... for a couple of reasons... I have other mics that are much better, so I don't worry about it!!

Secondly, I have used the mic occasionally -- it happened to be perfect for a track where some "honkiness" was needed... so now, the mic is essentially relegated to "off-color" usage! (much like a engineer might do with a Radio Shack mic for "lo-fi" color!) ;)

Bruce

Thanks Bruce.I guess I'll just have to go for it.I haven't used my 2001 for a long time so I guess if I screw it up somehow it won't matter much.I don't have many mics so for me it would make more sense to do the mod and get a decent mic for an additional $40 or so.I'm pretty sure I can handle the mod.Thanks again.

BTW,now that you have had the C-1 for a spell,are you still digging it as much?Is it a mic that you use often or do you usually reach for another mic?I'm seriously considering a SP B-3 when it rears its head but if the C-1 sounds drastically better than the B-3 in cardoid mode(I am sure given the prices the C-1 sounds better)I will get a C-1 instead and skip the multipatterns(sure would like that though).I don't expect the B-1 to be anywhere near the equal to the C-1 in cardoid,I'm just hoping it is not harsh and brittle like the 2001p and some of the other cheap condensers.

The C1 is working out quite well - I've used it mostly on male vocals with great success....

For one particular vocalist, it fared better than a 4033 (a mic that sometimes I find a bit touchy to work with, although it's good mic - it's not a universal one!)

Bruce

Thanks for the input folks!

Sounds like I could go either way if I wanted to. Just wanted to get a little info. Thanks very much!--Stinky

You can get the Marshall MXLv67M at Mars for $99 and ive seen the 603 as low as $50....

btw, the v67 is a significantly better mic that the 2001

B3Nut said:

The Behr. B1 and JM47 are transformerless....that gets rid of one of the 2001p's main problems. Shanghai seems more into transformer-balanced mics than 797, although they do make transformerless mics like the MXL-2003. I wonder if Alan's SP B1 is based on that basic curcuit the Behr. B1 uses, but with his improved specs and insistence on tighter QC. It's doubtless going to be the one to beat at its price point.

My next mic'll probably be a C1 though, been itching to try one.

TP

The Studio Projects B1... :eek: damn I wish the model number was not the same, is not like the Beringher B1. Mine is transformerless (FET) like theirs, but the circuit design and capsule on mine is different.

The Beringher B1 is a stock 797 CR616, just like the Meek JM47 (US) model and the BPM CR10..nothing different about any of those mics...they are the exact same mic with some feature differences. The Marshall 2003 is made by 797, not Shanghai Fielo.

I went for a different sound on the B Series...one I hope you all will like, and as it is getting very close, you all will find out pretty soon. It is very well made as you will all see soon, and as for the sound quality, well you will all tell me soon enough.

Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group

The Studio Projects B1... damn I wish the model number was not the same, is not like the Beringher B1. Mine is transformerless (FET) like theirs, but the circuit design and capsule on mine is different.

Ah, cool.

The Beringher B1 is a stock 797 CR616, just like the Meek JM47 (US) model and the BPM CR10..nothing different about any of those mics...they are the exact same mic with some feature differences. The Marshall 2003 is made by 797, not Shanghai Fielo.

Ahhhh...I wondered about the 2003, esp. since it sports a 3-micron capsule of slightly greater diameter than the usual Shanghai capsule. I had a hunch it was a 797 mike...

Fun schtuff :D

TP

Back