Modding a Marshall MXL 2001

Helge K.

Hello,

I own a Marshall MXL 2001 and think about the mod. I have no other comparison to large diaphragm condensers (other mics are MXL 603s and SM57), so I can't say I find it a bad mic.

I read threads where people seemed to be glad they did the mod.

There seem to be several mods availiable, I read about a Dorsey Mod, a Royer Mod, and a Mojave Audio Mod Kit.

Which is the best bang for the buck? I'm experienced with soldering, but I live in Europe, so I couln't use a US power supply, and back issues and shipping of a pcb is quite expensive.

What would you recommend? Leave it as it is an save for a better mic, or go for one of the mods?

Thanks,
Helge

The Royer Mod, and a Mojave Audio Mod Kit are the same thing. You can just order the pc boards and do it yourself using the 2001, but like you said, you’d have to mod the power supply for Europe. It would probably only involve swapping the power transformer to do this. You could email Mojave and see what they recommend.

As far as the “Dorsey mod”, I've done it and it’s by far the cheapest and easiest route. It offers a significant improvement over the stock 2001. You can order the board and transistor from Scott, however, I wouldn't think shipping it would be all that expensive as he sends it in a small envelope. Don't know about the Recording mag back-issue, though. Surely you can find a copy in a library over there somewhere. ;) You can read about it here: http://www.pfarrell.com/music/shanghaimic.html

Thanks for sharing some light!

Is the Dorsey mod available as a drop in replacement with a complete pc board somewhere? Might be interesting if it's only the pc board to be replaced.

Helge

Helge K. said:
Thanks for sharing some light!

Is the Dorsey mod available as a drop in replacement with a complete pc board somewhere? Might be interesting if it's only the pc board to be replaced.

Helge
Not to my knowledge.

Back