Microphone cables

Beathoven

Hi all!

- Ooooh no... not Beathoven again! :)

- Yes it's me! Well, I bought the C1 from StudioProjects and I was thinking: Damn! I need cables! I want the BEST CABLES! EVEN IF THEY COST 100$/feet!!! You heard me? BEST! B-E-S-T! BEST!!! Which ones would you suggest me? How much cables will I need? One? Or one from the mic to the preamp, from the preamp to the compressor, and from the compressor to the console?

Cheers :D
Beathoven

Can you solder?

It's actually cheaper to make your own and you get your cables in custom lengths that way, too! Maybe something like Mogami or Belden? I don't know if one needs to get any sillier than that, cablewise....but then again....whadda I know?!:D

heylow
Rock Jedi/Indie Snob
www.heylowsoundsystem.net

Yo Ludwig,

I don't know if they're the "best" but Monster cables are real good, and they sure do cost alot!

A1MixMan

I had the opportunity to compare many different brands of cables last summer with the same mic, preamp, and A/D converter micing the same acoustic guitar/singer guy who played the same song over and over again.

We tested each other out on playback, and each of us, without knowing which cable we were listening to at any given time, preferred the Monster Studio Pro 1000 cable every time based solely on how sweet the recording of it sounded.

Only about $5 a foot including connectors.

The Mogami Quad cable came in a distant second, followed VERY closely by the Belden 8451 cable (this cable was in fact MUCH louder than any of the others for some reason, but it just didn't have the same sweet sound as the Monster or Mogami did).

One opinion of many. You will not know for sure what the differences are until you hear them all in some kind of thought out meaningful test of them.

Good luck.

Ed

That's interesting sonusman.
These, Monster Studio Pro 1000s, are they available in most sound shops? Have to order them?
Thanks.

Try Audioquest. Real expensive, but much better than Monster. Heck, I wish I came up with the idea of using heavy duty zip cord 15 years ago...wow, I could of made a million bucks.

lavoz

You can get them at Mars music or Guitar Center.
Most high quality music stores should have them.
I ordered mine from sweetwater.com
Just do a search on Google.com.

A1MixMan

Well here it is, in all it's blaze and glory.
My 100th post!
Look out boys, I'm a senior member now!

Dammit Sonusman, I've pretty much resolved that good quality cables are just as good as the overhyped cables. Now you blew that theory to bits. However, I'm not familiar with specific brands, so I can't specifically note your findings without researching what makes each of those specific brands of cables different from the others. It would be great if you supplied technical data about each cable.

Matt

Good links and help, guys.
Thanks alot.

I've always bought mic cables, but made my own guitar cables. Never even gave it a second thought till I read this tread.

Lavoz, I went to the Audioquest website but being totally newbie in the cable domain I was wondering which type of cable I need to connect a StudioProjects C1 to a preamp.

Thanks in advance,
Beathoven

(P.S.: To everyone who answered this thread, thank you!!! :D)

I've tried out just about every mic cable i could get my hands on. Everthing from the basic $25.00 ProCo to custom made $10,000.00 gold cables... yes there really are mic cables that cost that much... FOR 10 FEET!... any way... I am a professional... have been doing this for 25 years... we put these cables to the test for several days with several different sound sources... all the while keeping a clean signal path... we all know what the cheap proco cables can do... Canari was real sweet but we thought the lacked punch... monster was no better or worse than the proco except in their high end line... they were decent but way over priced... we were not concerned with the cost though... and put the monster in the "this is cool" pile... the $10,00.00 custom cables were incredible... but who has 20k for a set of cables? we ended up liking the Neumann cables just about every time in the blind test... I don't know where you can find them in your town... we got a few of them from our local high end studio gear rental company in S.F. and are very happy with them.... sweet and punchy... no loss of high freqs, just pure clean signal... and they were acupla buck more that the cheeeeeepy ProCo cables...
Check em out!
ojo

Planet Waves cables. I have heard NO one complain about these. D'Addario or whoever makes them guarantees that the signal from the source reaches it's destination with NO loss whatsoever. Everyone who has them tell me that they are better than Monster. Not even close in fact. They call it Signal=Output technology. And at 25 bucks for 20ft they can't be bad. I mean to get a few myself.

Neumann's OEM mic cables are made with Gotham wire- you can get it from Mouser and other places. It costs about the same as Mogami, Canare, or any other quality wire- roughly 75 cents a foot, tops. It's not bad stuff at all.

We all want to do the best we can within our limited budgets in our home studios. The question is, where is the bang for the buck? I'm not a professional in the audio field any more. I used to be, but then I moved on to other professional interests (mostly, ones that actually paid me). Since getting back into this as a hobbyist, I've now built test cables with wire from most of the major players, and have done some testing of my own. I'm also in search of the Holy Grail just like everybody else, you see. A Magic Bullet that will make my rig sound better with no real effort on my part. What a cool, seductive idea...

Problem is, I bring an engineering cynicism to this exercise. And I can't hear the difference, once you're talking about any of the "good" wires: Canare StarQuad, Mogami quad, Gotham triple or quad. I've tried, folks, and I just can't hear it. Period. I admit it. My ears just can't make it out. I am hopelessly handicapped, compared to those who can actually hear the angels speaking to them through the high-zoot wires.

There are folks who say they can, and you know what? Some of them probably can. But I *can't*. And a lot of years of poking at this by people in the AES really hasn't led to any conclusions that will change the minds of anyone on either side, either: measurements of a lot of the super-zoot stuff made by independent folks just flat have not indicated any world-stopping advantages. There's just no support for this in the peer-reviewed literature. Which, I suspect, is why there is exactly *zero* actual technical information on the Monster "technical information" web page. Monster just buys pretty much run-of-the-mill wire from someone else, hypes the bejeezus out of it, and marks it up 500%.

The Monster Cables and other moonglow vendors of the world have volumes of glossy psuedoscience about how their gold plated thises and turbine-slotted thats are somehow better. But ultimately, I personally believe that it's all pure marketing hype, and nothing else. I work hard for my money, and unsupported hype ain't gonna get it done for me.

Don't get me wrong: Ed *has* done the testing, and he says he*can* hear it, and I do believe him. There are others who make the same claims, and I believe them as well. I don't understand how they can, but I still believe them. And then I go buy the stuff that makes sense for me, with my rig, and my ears.

You can make *excellent* cables for under a buck a foot. You can also buy excellent premade cables for under a buck a foot, if you don't like to solder. If *you* can actually hear the difference in a fair (ideally double-blind) test, then by all means buy the super high-zoot goldplated whatever stuff they're hyping this week. Hell, yes, do so with my blessing, and thanks for keeping the economy going. But if you honestly _can't_ hear it, then IMNSHO you'd have to be a little bit touched in the head to pay a hundred bucks for a mic cable, just because some marketer says that they are somehow better. Save that money for better monitors, or for acoustic treatment of your room: something that yields unquestionable, tangible, and *measurable* improvements.

PT Barnum is still alive and well, and I do believe he works for an audio cable manufacturer. How else could they justify selling $.75/foot wire for $5/foot? Caveat emptor: buy with your ears wide open, and your eyes completely closed to the slick marketing crap. Only *your* ears matter, and what you find may surprise you.

Last edited:
GREAT! Now you tell me after I spend $500.00 on Monster cables!
Oh well, they sound good to me, but then what do I know...

Come to think of it, the guy at Sweetwater did say that $100.00 for a mic cable was a little expensive, and he was the salesman!

But I bought it anyway.
Well, now if my singing sounds like shit I can't blame the cables!

Back