Micing up a sitar

Sitar Miking..

From the Earthworks website customer comments section:

Pardon me for getting back to you so slowly...but, I wanted to really check out the new SR71 on several different shows. Bottom line...I love the mic! It is so transparent that it took me a while to get accustomed to it. I've now used it on a variety of acoustic instruments from guitar to sitar and also percussion. In October I used the SR71 on Hussain Khan of the Shanachie group Ghazal's sitar. It was the shortest soundcheck I've ever experienced with a sitar player. Turned up the mic, no EQ, Hussain played for less than two minutes...stopped, grinned, said, "Thank you very much, sounds great!", and left the stage. As you might be aware, Indian Classical Sitar players tend to be very fussy about their sound and I was prepared for at least 5-15 minutes of tweaking, needless to say I was very happy, as was Hussain. The SR71 is now my first choice for any critical acoustic instrument. And as I usually mix about 200 shows a year with acoustic instruments, I predict it will be used a lot. Thanks and keep up the good work! (Chris Frymire, Modern Minstrel Mixing, Minneapolis)

Peace,
Rick

Back