Mic FOCAL DISTANCE? Anyone heard of this?

pietro79

Hello,
A tech at my school told me a bit about mic "focal distance" (in quotes, because I don't know if that's what you would technically call it)...but, he said that mics have focal distances at which point they are loudest and potentially clearest... That getting closer with a mic doesn't necessarily mean getting louder...
Anyone heard of this? Or something like it? Doesn't seem to be listed in mic specs (at least where I've looked). I haven't tested it out yet, but value your opinions anyway.

-Pietro

hmmm...

sounds like something an engineer would tell a singer who was bobbing and weaving with the mic...no, seriously, he/she is right. Certain (microphone) diaphragms have certain resonant points that can make certain distances at certain amplitudes sound...clearer ;)
Also there is the "proximity effect" see google ...alot of cardioid mics (gradient) have increased bass response when the source (singer, instrument, amp )is closer to the mic (sometimes sounds muddy, or more punchy, etc...)

Last edited:
The term focal distance is used in physics (optics) to describ a specific point where light converges. Using this term in the world of recording would be false, English is not my native language, so I leave it to one of you guys to find a better expression for "mic focal distane" :P

thx

I've heard it described by a local recording guru as "chasing the flame" - finding the exact spot where the mic sounds best on a particular source.

Back