to mic or to connect tascam to mixer

cybex03

I have been trying to figure out the best way to record in my home studio. Is it better to place a mic in front of my amp and then input the mic directly into my tascam 4 track recorder or is it better to connect my amp (or just a pedal board) to my mackie mixer and then connect my tascam recorder to the mixer?

cybex03 said:
I have been trying to figure out the best way to record in my home studio. Is it better to place a mic in front of my amp and then input the mic directly into my tascam 4 track recorder or is it better to connect my amp (or just a pedal board) to my mackie mixer and then connect my tascam recorder to the mixer?
Mic the amp.

Whichever you prefer. Generally people like the sound of their amp and want to record that. If you use a line out you're missing out the speaker, which creates a lot of the amp's sound. This can be good for clean parts or if you're using amp modelling at a later stage, but it won't be so great for distorted sounds because of the very narrow frequency response that a guitar cab brings to the tone.

Bottom line - unless you're modelling later or you want a different sound for a special effect - mic it dude!

I concur. I have gone direct with my cyber twin and miced it and the live sound is MUCH better. I also mic my other amps now and wouldn't go direct unless noise was a factor
In His Name
BK

Back