M-Audio Buddy Preamp any good?? Good Sound Card but cheap?

Les W

I am seriously considering one of these audio buddies whichare supposidly good for computer rec. I need Ideas for a great economical sound card too...my mission=almost there!!

How much $? Uses?

M-Audio DMP3 2 channel preamp $150
M-Audio Audiophile SC $150

Mic?
Studio Projects B1 $80
or
Oktava MK319 $50 (on sale @ GC)

Jotosuds said:
audio buddy is only $80. i've got one, works good.
I've got one that seems to work OK also, but phantom power is only 35 volts under a mic load. Mics seem to work OK, but I have my doubts about getting full frequency response if the condenser is polarized with a voltage much lower than the nominal 48.

when the DMP3 was $199, the Audio Buddy made sense.....but when you can get the DMP3 between $100-$150, the phantom power issues and improved sound are worth it......

crazydoc said:
How much $? Uses?

M-Audio DMP3 2 channel preamp $150
M-Audio Audiophile SC $150

Mic?
Studio Projects B1 $80
or
Oktava MK319 $50 (on sale @ GC)

to spend on a stand alone pre amp right now I would say $50-100 for a sound card I would say $50. If I can get a combo of both which would be great I would pay I guess the $150. But it can't be a weak one.

I'd rather have a set up which is cheap and easy to upgrade than a set up which would require me to spend twice as much in one shot to upgrade, if that makes sense. Right now I have the Eurorack U502 which I haven't opened cause if the audio buddy works well with the sound card or has little distortion I will just get that.

Mic? I am either going to get the Groove tubes TB1-F/T or the Studio Projects TB1, which have their own power supply which takes a load off my back for phantom power. I hope this helps sorry I wasn't clearer earlier.
L

Les W said:
to spend on a stand alone pre amp right now I would say $50-100 for a sound card I would say $50. If I can get a combo of both which would be great I would pay I guess the $150. But it can't be a weak one.

Jeezus, dude. I didn't even think they made sound cards or mic pres for that. :D If you do manage to find anything, it's going to suck donkey b@!!$. Just thought I'd forewarn you.

Les
You've got your priorities a little out of whack. There's no point in even using those mics with anything less than something like the DMP and the Audiophile.
Tell you what - Send me the mic (either one), and I'll send you my audiobuddy, my M-Audio Dman PCI card, and a SPB1 mic, which will get you a lot better sound than anything into your $50 card.

Your expectations just aren't realistic. Your sound is only as good as the weakest link in your chain.

Audigy 2 Platnium

crazydoc said:
Les
You've got your priorities a little out of whack. There's no point in even using those mics with anything less than something like the DMP and the Audiophile.
Tell you what - Send me the mic (either one), and I'll send you my audiobuddy, my M-Audio Dman PCI card, and a SPB1 mic, which will get you a lot better sound than anything into your $50 card.

Your expectations just aren't realistic. Your sound is only as good as the weakest link in your chain.

I don't have any of them yet. I guess to me I woould rather have the weakest link be the soundcard than the mic, esp now the mic is discontinued and cheap :) I may change my mind tho and PM you...

BTW gotta link to the DMan? I can't find it ne where

I have an Audiobuddy.

Dont use it a lot anymore but I only paid 40 bucks for it used.

If you're strapped for cash the go used for now.

If you can be patient and look hard you can find good deals on pres and soundcards (maybe not 50 bucks).

Check out the Tapco 6306 (used)

http://www.tapcogear.com/products/6306/

http://www.tapcogear.com/products/6306/images/top.jpg

Its a mini mixer like the Berri but made by Mackie. It has 2 XLR mic inputs w phantom and you also get basic mixer functions with could be a good way to interface you mic(s), what ever soundcard you get, and the monitors you use plus what ever else you may want to plug into the mix.

I've seen these go for 55-99 bucks.
I used one once and its sounds decent...... marginally better than the Audiobuddy for mics and more reliable phantom power.

It will get you started.

Trade the Berri in for the best mic cable you can sqeeze out of whatever music store will give you the most.
Dont forget the mic cable(s).
Cables make a difference and not just in sound.

Good cables will last a lot longer.

Think at least medium-term.

If you settle for a 16bit stereo soundcard for now, you can definitely find some cheap options.

I would try and get one quality component at a time.

Those mics you mentioned will probably be usable to you long after you upgrade your pres and soundcard a couple of times.

A good mic is a good start.

-mike

Back