Let's sticky the FAQ...together!

Should the FAQ achieve 'sticky' status?

• Heck yea, let's help some newbies!

Votes: 30 96.8%
  • Nope, I'd rather tell newbies stuff myself!

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters

grahamware

That FAQ Guy
OK folks, it's time to show your cards! Time to show your support (or lack thereof) in a push to make the FAQ a sticky.

Before you vote, make sure to take a look, so you're satisfied:

http://www.hr-faq.org

It's not totally finished, but...it's pretty nice. Read away.

C'mon Recording Engineer, you know you want to!

-GD

As a novice i can say the faq has helped me go from super retarded noob, to just a retarded noob. so umm yes i think it is good:)

Looks good, but as you say, incomplete. How about a section on phantom power and its effect on different type of mics?

Let's get it up there. It's valueble information for newbies and for people that forget a lot (like me!). Thanks for making it.

There is no way to teach everyone everthing in a FAQ, but that's why were here. I think this is a really good idea... not only will it educate people, but it will keep the channel cleaner as less people post questions that they should have researched the answers to...

Hey everyone! Looking good so far...and thanks for taking a look!

crazydoc, I'll put up something on phantom power, but it won't be great - I can research, but I don't personally know too much on its effect on different mics - only the answer to the common newb question: WILL PHANTOM POWER HURT MY DYNAMIC? If you or anyone else would like to write something up, please go ahead! It would help a lot!

Everyone really should check out giganova's contribution - excellent work. Read "I want to record a saxophone. What mic should I use?" in MIC BUYING.

Hopefully this will make more people interested in writing something for the FAQ!

-Graham

grahamware said:
crazydoc, I'll put up something on phantom power, but it won't be great - I can research, but I don't personally know too much on its effect on different mics - only the answer to the common newb question: WILL PHANTOM POWER HURT MY DYNAMIC? If you or anyone else would like to write something up, please go ahead! It would help a lot!
-Graham

OK, I'll get something together. How do I get it to you?

Mark7's mics are up - take a look at the beyers in the 'Mic Specifics'. Thanks a lot, Mark!

Unfortunately, it seems my drive to make the FAQ a 'sticky' is futile, as Recording Engineer hasn't made any comments. I don't know if he's still around or not...:(

I wonder if slackmaster could do it instead? :confused:

grahamware said:
Mark7's mics are up - take a look at the beyers in the 'Mic Specifics'. Thanks a lot, Mark!

Unfortunately, it seems my drive to make the FAQ a 'sticky' is futile, as Recording Engineer hasn't made any comments. I don't know if he's still around or not...:(

I wonder if slackmaster could do it instead? :confused:

Have you PM'd RE about this? I'm sure he would respond one way or the other. If you like I will ask him.

Thank you very much ozraves and bknot1!

I like to think of the FAQ a 'supplement' to the BBS rather than its own entity. The primary audience is going to be people (especially newbies) from the BBS, because that's where people are going to find out about it.

I don't think it would be fair to make the site a sticky here if it were not *completely* dedicated to the readers of this mic board, and their needs or wants.

I haven't tried PM'ing RE yet, because I assumed he's been gone for a while. His last post was in the first FAQ thread, about a month ago...maybe he's still around, and I'll try a PM soon to try to get his attention.

thanks all
-graham

BTW thanks to crazydoc for the phantom power contribution. It'll be up soon!

Great stuff! As a newbie myself I have to say this BB has been a huge help. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "sticky " it...
I haven't got the skill yet to answer a whole lot of questions for other people , but whenever I can I like to return the favor. Anyway, I assume that this BB came about, to allow home recorders to exchange ideas, which is really cool. I think I learn something new everytime I sign on, which is just about everyday now. The first thing I did was read the FAQ , Keep it up, everyone has to start somewhere.

I think it is a good idea to start a more extensive FAQ. I am a web designer and I have to nit-pick! I think you need a better navigational scheme, just so you don't have it all on one page. If you need any help I would be glad to assist you!:)

I like the way it's set up. It's not just one page. There's an index page that takes you to other pages and links. It loads up fast, which is important to poor dial-up luddites like myself. Screw the bells and whistles - just the info. JMTCW

13th_Omen said:
I think it is a good idea to start a more extensive FAQ. I am a web designer and I have to nit-pick! I think you need a better navigational scheme, just so you don't have it all on one page. If you need any help I would be glad to assist you!:)

Um...press F5. The site was one page two months ago.

Back