Is this how a mxl 603 / apex 180 is supposed to sound?

Sounds ok D8 ..... what you'll want to do is mess with the microphone placement for it sounds a bit on the low end side of things.

And when your playing out or having loud practices, use ear plugs if that's what screwing with your ears.

Hi thanks for the reply!
I was just not sure if they were supposed to sound like that so I just did a very rough recording (no time spent on mic placement).
Yeah the tinnitus I get is not from loud sounds as such but from an intestinal bacterial overgrowth which is aggravating my Vagus nerve endings in my stomach. :-(

Hi thanks for the reply!
I was just not sure if they were supposed to sound like that so I just did a very rough recording (no time spent on mic placement).
Yeah the tinnitus I get is not from loud sounds as such but from an intestinal bacterial overgrowth which is aggravating my Vagus nerve endings in my stomach. :-(

Really ?

nnnaaaaawwwww.....can't be the weed. sounds pretty good to me D8, especially the last one.

hahahaha A weed fan here to then? Well the weed def makes it worse but that just means its stimulating the nerve.....
On very strong anti biotics at the mo.. Hope it helps!!

PS I am going to post up here when mod is finished!!!

worse?? really? maybe i have been misinformed all these years from being in a band. the guys always tell me they have to get STRAIGHT before the gig and light up a bowl........LOL

Look I dont want to sound paranoid but I think my Focusrite maybe faulty I feel like the recordings I am getting out of it are a bit dead and lacking in high end detail. Does anybody else get this from the recordings I posted?

mic mods

Hi D8,
which mic did you mod? and which mods did you do?
I modded a 180 a while back and recently took it out
and used it again on bass and some voice recording.

Sorry but i cant listen to the recordings as im on dial up.
Thx

Hi D8,
which mic did you mod? and which mods did you do?
I modded a 180 a while back and recently took it out
and used it again on bass and some voice recording.

Sorry but i cant listen to the recordings as im on dial up.
Thx

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't done the mod yet I am trying to get a good recording now to compare.

Which mod did you do?

So were you happy with the sound?

mic mods

Hi d8,
getting a recording before a mod might be a pain but its such a good idea, i wish i had before all the mods i have done but sadly didnt. I always do it now.
Mods i did on the 180 were swapping out three caps for better quality ones ,removing the grill at the front completely and polishing with jewellers polish the connection between capsule and the little push pin.

All of them helped and improved the mic. I was given some other recommendations for this mic by Marik on here along time ago and ill probgably try them out if i get another 180.

If its an apex 180 your doing i can give you the details on the caps i swapped out and the other recommendations.

The only real issue i had was the room thats available inside the tube, the caps i have in squeeze the sides so i have to be very careful when i take it apart.

I was happy with what the mods did to the mic, its certainly improved the quality. What i did find was that recording a guitar cab with a sm58 and the apex 180 created a sound that i realy liked, and was better than either mic alone. So its probably more for applications like that that ill use the mic.

That all said, i do like it and ill buy another and mod it when i can.

A

Hi d8,
getting a recording before a mod might be a pain but its such a good idea, i wish i had before all the mods i have done but sadly didnt. I always do it now.
Mods i did on the 180 were swapping out three caps for better quality ones ,removing the grill at the front completely and polishing with jewellers polish the connection between capsule and the little push pin.

All of them helped and improved the mic. I was given some other recommendations for this mic by Marik on here along time ago and ill probgably try them out if i get another 180.

If its an apex 180 your doing i can give you the details on the caps i swapped out and the other recommendations.

The only real issue i had was the room thats available inside the tube, the caps i have in squeeze the sides so i have to be very careful when i take it apart.

I was happy with what the mods did to the mic, its certainly improved the quality. What i did find was that recording a guitar cab with a sm58 and the apex 180 created a sound that i realy liked, and was better than either mic alone. So its probably more for applications like that that ill use the mic.

That all said, i do like it and ill buy another and mod it when i can.

A

Wow thanks for the interesting response I never heard of polishing the push pin before whats that do?

And how did you remove the grill without damaging the surface of the capsule? I don't like the grill at all cannot see why it was put there at all!

Where do you live because i found a great deal for two Apex 180's and an Apex 345. All good for modding and cost me around £40 each! Its a package the Apex-SP1 package.. :-)

I have chosen some caps for the mod I have another post about those somewhere they arrived and most were to big but I have some polystyrene ones that should work ok.

I am following the Gus version of the cap mod: Gus' MXL 603s mod - Pictures/Part numbers -thanks Flatpicker

mic mods

Thats probably a good thread to use, all those guys know way more than i ever will about these things and are always very helpfull.

I was getting a strange hi end fizzle from my mic that i couldnt and everything looked fine visually, which is where i always start troubleshooting, except the pin surfaces. I thought it was a long shot but i have jewelers polish for sharpening chisels to a surgical point so i tried it to clean the surfaces and create a better contacting surface. It worked and i use it for any contacts i have like that now. I think it creates a resistance free clean contact that cant produce any noise.

On the apex there is a brass ring that can be pried out with a small screwdriver and the grill can be then removed, it may be glued in but can be pried out carefully. I think you just have to be very careful and always keep in mind where the tool is gonna go if you slip.

Im in canada. Thats a great deal for those mics. I have not checked latelly but i know they do that package in canada.
Ill probably get an mxl603 to mod just to see which i like more.

Thx for the thread link.

A

Back