How close to the kick can a condenser go?

CanopuS

Amateur music since 1847
Right: We've got a B1, we want to use it for the kick drum (and general front of kit). How close can I go to the kick without damaging its capsule etc?

if you dont put it directly in front of the hole in the head, you can put it as close as you want.

you can use it occasionaly on bass drum without causing damage, but if you use it all the time you are going to hurt it eventually.

How far would it need to be for there to be NO risk of hurting it over a long period of time? :)

It's true. Just don't stick it in front of the port of a ported resonant head... Or any place you can feel the air move (wind) when the beater hits.

And "occasional use only without damage" is simply a myth. If it works one time, it'll work all the time.

OK... MAYBE with daily use after MAYBE 25 years down the road, you MIGHT have stretched the diaphragm ever so slightly... Have it rediaphragmed and you're set for another 25 years!

hey CanopuS tell me how the B1 sounds after you record acoupple things( in comparsion to a beta 52 or D112 if you ever used thos before) but either way tell me how it sounds

OK I will do, It'll be in a couple of weeks. I'll try and get a clip posted too :) So say it was a foot away, it would be alright? :)

I love the SP B1 mic. I use it as a room mic in font of the kit, it works great and I've used it on mounted toms and it worked great. I didn't like it at all on kick. I kind of got "the sound of slamming a metal door in a large empty warehouse" sound. Padding the signal at the board, using a roll off, eq'ing it up the wazoo all improved the sound,but why? There are so many relatively inexpensive mics that are made specifically for kick drum that work.
The B1 is just SO good on so many other things, why use it for something it isn't that good on?

Back