Headworn speech mic?

Jim Eveland

I do voiceover, audio books, audio instructions, interviews, and radio drama; been using a Shure SM7 many years & quite happy with it (but I wish I didn't have to crank up the gain so much). Some new stuff I'm doing requires a headworn mic with headphones, and I need advice. The only all-in-one that appears right is the Shure SM2, but I have no way to test and am ready to buy. What's the best close-talking headworn mic (preferably with headphones, altho I'll make an adaptor if I have to) for conversation-level male baritone voice, no singing/no screaming, closest to my beloved old SM7?

I'm a big fan of DPAs for spoken word stage work, although I honestly can't say I've ever had one in the studio.

Maestro, the "actual application" does not require wireless. Primarily for radio drama, I need to be able to move my head & body around & look at my various co-players while speaking; and it's helpful to hear cues thru the 'phones that should not be recorded. Similarly, when doing audio instructions, I need to be holding the thing in my hands and operating it, and sometimes stand in front of it or walk around it if it's floor-standing equipment. In both cases, there may be sounds other than my voice that I do not want recorded.

Back