HAVE A SP B1, GET ANOTHER? OR MXL603's?

Drummerbones

I've got a Studio Projects B1 I use for vocals and love it. I need to get a pair of overheads for my kit, so my question is...

Should I buy another B1 and use the 2 as a pair? Or should I spring for a couple of MXL 603's?

I know every mic is different and subjective and bla, bla, bla...

I'm just curious as to how the B1 matches up to the 603 as an overhead....maybe I can save some money and just buy the 1 mic. However, if the 603's are just down right better for overhead application, I'm willing to spend the extra dough.

Thanks gang.

They both can be good...it's going to come down to the drums/cymbals and the room. I've had good results with both. I've got some cymbals that don't sound so nice with the 603's but I've also had the same experience with toms vs. th B1.

Last year before we remodeled (we didn't used to have a drum room. I couldn't get either to sound good. Now I like them both leaning more towards the 603's.

I'm thinking there isn't a simple answer here. Is there a chance you might want to use the 603's for something else in addition to using them as over-heads? They make great acoustic guitar mics, I've even used them on the underside of snares. In other words, depending upon the collection in your mic kit, the 603's will might make a nice addition anyways. The prices are very nice right now.

Good luck.

Drummerbones said:
I've got a Studio Projects B1 I use for vocals and love it. I need to get a pair of overheads for my kit, so my question is...

Should I buy another B1 and use the 2 as a pair? Or should I spring for a couple of MXL 603's?

I know every mic is different and subjective and bla, bla, bla...

I'm just curious as to how the B1 matches up to the 603 as an overhead....maybe I can save some money and just buy the 1 mic. However, if the 603's are just down right better for overhead application, I'm willing to spend the extra dough.

Thanks gang.
Any combo might work... but something you may want to keep in mind is... it takes matched mics for recording in true stereo (just in case thats something you might ever want to do. ;) ) Here's what I'd do if I was you and only considering those two mics... I'd either buy the Marshall MXL603SPR (matched pair)... or because SPB1's don't come in matched pairs, I'd contact PMI-AG and ask them if they'd match your SPB1... this would require you sending them your SPB1.

Last edited:
The pair of 603's I'd pick up would be matched. The B1's not being matched is a good point. I do think it would be nice to have the 603's to record stereo acoustic stuff...Right now, a mono B1 sounds very good on my cymbals & toms (compared to Shures & AT's I've used in the past). The 603's just get so many rave reviews around here, it's hard not to look that way. I think I may give them a try...the only way to find out.

They'll be nice addition to the collection. You'll be happy with them if only for acoustic guitars.

The B1 comes with a color code (green, red or black).

Just buy one with the same color code, then the difference is at most 2dB.

Drummerbones said:
The pair of 603's I'd pick up would be matched. The B1's not being matched is a good point. I do think it would be nice to have the 603's to record stereo acoustic stuff...Right now, a mono B1 sounds very good on my cymbals & toms (compared to Shures & AT's I've used in the past). The 603's just get so many rave reviews around here, it's hard not to look that way. I think I may give them a try...the only way to find out.
Yeah... IMO, the 603S is one of the better "bang for the buck" type budget mics on the market. :)

PS... just so you know... SPB1's with the same SP color code still aren't "matched" mics... but, I bet PMI-AG would hand match a pair for you if thats what you wanted.

Back