Given a bunch of stuff... need help?

ndru98

So recently I was given an Audio Technica AT2020 (the non USB-version), as well as the "ART Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp" from Musicians Friend.

My question is now... how do I set all this up? :S
I'm running a Macbook Pro on IOS 10.7.2.
Any help is appreciated!

My question is now... how do I set all this up? :S

I'm guessing in terms of using it for recording into your computer?

Do you have an audio interface? if not, there are plenty out there at reasonable prices and this will give you the cleanest results.

if not, then which size macbook pro? if you have the 13inch then the interface is defiantly gonna be the way to go. if you thane the 15 or 17inch then you can plug a cable from the output of the Art tube MP (1/4inch jack) to the line input of your mac (mini jack). you can either pick up this exact cable or buy a standard 1/4 jack to jack cable and buy an adaptor to convert one end from 1/4inch jack to mini jack.

in terms of software garageband works fine but things like Logic or Reaper are a bit more comprehensive

Thanks for the speedy response. I have the late 2008 15" Model Macbook Pro (the full silver one). Will this be an issue? As how to set everything up, is it as simple as plugging in the outlet for the pre-amp, plugging the mic into the preamp, and then the 1/4 jack into my macbook audio jack?

yeah, that'll be fine. however, as i said, you will probably get better results with an external USB or Firewire audio interface but in the mean time the art mp to the line in should work ok :)

I would definately go out and get an audio interface. I never trust the little mic input on a computer. Getting a device that is specifically made to do the a/d conversion is the better way to go. You can get these for fairly cheap. If you are just using one mic, all you need is 1 input. Getting a bigger interface with more inputs may be something to think about if you plan on recording more in the future.

The set-up would be at2020->xlr cable->preamp->xlr cable->interface->usb or firewire(depending on what type of interface)-computer. You can probably avoid the interface if you had to but I think your overall sound will be poor. Also purchasing an interface may give you better software than garageband. Nothing against garageband, it's a decent program especially being free, but there is better out there. It comes down to preference.

Again, thanks for the speedy response. Do you have any interfaces that you'd recommend that would fit a tight budget?

Uhm, well I'm looking to spend ~$50, which I doubt is going to happen, so could you recommend me like the thing's that the best of both worlds (cheapest)?

well, there's a couple of options, although i have no personal experience with either of these things;

the Blue Icicle gets really solid reviews

or

An XLR to USB cable may just do the trick.

Both of these should offer better A/D conversion than the built in ones in the computer.

if you can stretch your budget at all/save up a fully dedicated interface such as the Presonus Audiobox would give you 2 inputs, headphone monitoring, solid conversion and speaker outputs.

in the £100 - £300 (i'm uk based, $'s aren't my natural language) there are sooooooooo many options, but the blue icicle mentioned above should be more than capable of doing everything you'd want it to to start with

Back