Focusrite Preamps ...... Any good ????

Mastermindzz

I'm going to get either a Studio Projects C1 or a Behringer B2 Condenser Mic. Are these preamps any good. I've heard good things about them and I'm looking at one model for a home studio for $399

Model:Focusrite Platinum Penta Compressor/Limiter Microphone Preamp

Description

Every dynamics processor you'll ever need, squeezed into one 2U rack-mountable unit, the Penta will go down in your recording history as one of the best investments you ever made.

Designed principally as an affordable, high specification Stereo Analog Pre-set Compressor, the Platinum Penta provides a multiple of essential analog processing elements in a sturdy 2U 19 in. rack-mount case. The unit features an entirely editable pre-set compressor offering a range of professionally compiled compression settings depending on the sound required or instrument involved. Its dynamic response can add a soft or hard knee shape to the compressor curve, and combined with TubeTran‚ technology can emulate VCA, optical and valve compressor sounds.

The unit also features the same discrete transistor mic-pre as the award winning VoiceMaster. Because the PENTA includes a single mic-pre, as well as full stereo circuitry, it's just as ideal for recording a mono signal as for compressing the final stereo mix. So the PENTA offers the project studio owner the opportunity to both track and mix-down adding the "Focusrite signature sound" to their future productions at an outrageously affordable price
Stereo signal path throughout

Focusrite Class A Platinum Mic-pre (with Phantom Power)

Direct inputs on the front fascia for instruments (e.g. guitar) and microphone. (Both XLR and Jack)

Preset Compressor (16 pre-sets – all entirely editable)

Compressor features TubeTran‚Technology (More warmth, less warmth, you choose)

Stereo Image Width Controller

A high level of metering to ensure optimum levels

Optional 24 bit / 96kHz digital A/D output stage for state-of-the-art digital connectivity.

I have a Blue Tube, a JoeMeek MQ3 and a Penta, and I like the Penta best of all. Take that for what it's worth.

A friend of mine has a penta. I t sounds quite good. I would have preferred him to get the joemeek vc6q though.

The mic to get right now is totally the Audio Technica at 3035 and it only costs $199 with shockmount

I dont know how AT did it, but everytime I've heard it, it has sounded like that big studio sound even when run through a behringer pre

It should also work well with the penta. My pal uses the 4033 with his penta and that combo is pretty good.

These two tracks were done with AT 3035s by apush and longwavestudio respectively/

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=49982

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/2/1252/album9.shtml

hmm...so you think a 3035 over a C1 or C3? V67?

first time i have heard 3035 championed really..

wes480 said:
hmm...so you think a 3035 over a C1 or C3? V67?

first time i have heard 3035 championed really..

Well, both of those tracks sound much better than anything I've heard with those mics, and these people aren't pampering the signal path like people who I've heard the other mics from. If that mic sounds that good thru a Behringer!? It's gotta be good.

Back