Finial Mic and mic preamp decision

Which option should i go with

• Total voters

Fyre

Ok here is my problem I have about $500 to spend on my set up for my mic audiocard preamp and cards etc. I have everything finial that I am getting except for my mic and pre amp. my problem is that if i get the cheaper mic I can get a more expensive preamp and if i get the expensive mic i have to get the cheaper preamp. I am thinking about either an AT3035 or AKG c 2000 with a presonus tubepre or a MXL V63m with a M-audio DMP3 (this second setup would be my ideal for my budget). so Which should i go with?

Of course i could always go with the MXL V63m with the presonus tube micpre if there wouldnt be a major difference in soundquality between the two preamps?

Yay I got to vote first :D
Get the DMP3 but I'm not familiar with the V63. I'm assuming you're in the US. Going on everything I've read on this forum I'd recommend a C1 with the DMP3 for a $500 budget

Fyre said:
more input please
Yeah, I have to agree. My next purchase is going to be an Oktava ML52 as soon as GC has them on sale again and I have the moola, but I would never use it in certain situations. What are you going to use the mic for, how much are you going to abuse it? Are you going to be using this to mic an insane guitar player, or a mellow female celtic vocalist? It matters.

I would recommend the DMP over the Presonus however. That's easy.

Fyre said:
Ok here is my problem I have about $500 to spend on my set up for my mic audiocard preamp and cards etc. I have everything finial that I am getting except for my mic and pre amp. my problem is that if i get the cheaper mic I can get a more expensive preamp and if i get the expensive mic i have to get the cheaper preamp. I am thinking about either an AT3035 or AKG c 2000 with a presonus tubepre or a MXL V63m with a M-audio DMP3 (this second setup would be my ideal for my budget). so Which should i go with?

Of course i could always go with the MXL V63m with the presonus tube micpre if there wouldnt be a major difference in soundquality between the two preamps?
Vocal mics (I'm guessing you want it mostly for vocal?) can be kind of personal... for example, a mic that sounds good on my voice may suck eggs on your voice... so I recommend that you audition some mics untill you find the mic YOU like the best and get it and the DMP3 too.

Back