A few low end or one high end

dan

Alot of people tell me its more then adiquate to have mics like the AKG c4000 and the AT4033, Rhode NT2, etc. around for your different mic needs. One salesman I talked to said its like having different colors to paint with. My question is this, would it be worth it to just scrap that idea and save up for a nice mic in the $1200 dollar range or is it better to have lots of sonic choices around for many different applications?
If so what is the mic most people use in that price range or is there two, say around $600-800 dollars each, that would be good to have?

I say it mostly depends on if you're gonna be needing more than one mic at the same time.

A good idea to do no matter what route you go is to go to The Sound Room www.oktava.com and check-out their mics. Call and talk to Taylor Johnson (the owner); great guy. Absolutely no salesman bullshit. He'll be 100% honest with his opinion. I have a feeling you'll be glad you did.

Also, anyone here can tell you I'm just an extremely satisfied customer; in both the products and Taylor (and not just in the dealer sense).

You shouldn't rule out some of the cheaper mics just because if you can save you could buy a more expencive one. under certin conditions ive had better luck with rode NT2's then i have had with mic's more than twice the price. you need to findout which one is best for you. you may only need one or two of the cheaper mics.
Only buy what you need for the best sound in your price range, nothing more.

It is good to have a good selection of mics for your studio if you can afford it. The Painting analogy is good because most mics have a slight if not distinct color to them. I have found the AKG C4000B to be a great all purpose mic, but it is not the only mic I own.

They go for around $600 (US). I think you don't hear about them around here because of the price. They produce really clean, HOT signals though.

Man. Everyone. The best sounding fixed cardioid large diaphragm mic under $500US I've heard so far is an RTT M1 for $350US on an Oktava MC012 preamp body for $125US. I was floored when I hear it.

Guy's, you'll never hear me until you hear it for yourself.

If $500US is the absolute max. in your budget, I'd go no other way.

When a mic is the first part in the signal chain it's best to have a good one so you get a good signal from the start. On the other hand, we're on "homerecording.com" so if you're going to run that mic into some budget 4-trakker, is it worth forking out a thousand bucks for the mic? If your home setup is something akin to a semi-professional commercial studio then get the best microphone/s you can afford.

Back