e609, e906, m201? Snare, Guitar?

Which mic for Electric Guitar and Snare?

• m201

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • e609

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • e906

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • md421

• md441

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • other

• Total voters
Juggernaut said:
I don't know, In my time recording, which other people maybe including you have more experience, I have heard the sm57 sound decent, fine, maybe even good, but never great. If you can some howProve me wrong, then by all means do so. Don't take this the wrong way I really do apreciate the help by all of you. :)

Sorry man, ive got nothin ta prove to ya.

Have a nice day.
:)

-Finster

Juggernaut said:
I don't know, In my time recording, which other people maybe including you have more experience, I have heard the sm57 sound decent, fine, maybe even good, but never great. If you can some howProve me wrong, then by all means do so. Don't take this the wrong way I really do apreciate the help by all of you. :)

Depending on what pres you're running it through, that may be an issue. I've heard the SM57 isn't really GREAT unless you can run it through a really good pre with a lot of gain.

yes, i'm talking about the original e 609. it does not have any kind of bass roll off.

unfortunately i don't really have any samples close at hand.

while i think the 421 can sound fantastic on snare, keep in mind that it is rather big, and tends to get hit often by sticks. also, it isn't very directional so bleed can be an issue.

441's on the the other hand are hyper cardioid and are small enough to get in the right spot. oh yeah thay also sound great.

441's on the the other hand are hyper cardioid and are small enough to get in the right spot. oh yeah thay also sound great.

Yeah too bad they're far too expensive. On ebay thier around $300 to $400 and there arn't too many there.

have you thought of bottom micing the snare to get rid of th hat bleed. it also picks up a little more sound from the snares.

as for guitar amp mics. i like using a rode nt1a about 12 inches in front and a beta57 shoved in behind an open back amp. the beta57 really helps bring in the low end on a small combo amp. i've gotten some nice thick sounds this way.

I use the M201 for both, but I use the M201, the MD421 and the e609 for guitars (sometimes simultaneously).

Jacob

For "other," try an Audix I5. You could probably haggle your way into four of them for your budget at GC. They sound sorta 57-sh, less the high-mid hump, but brighter. I haven't tried it yet, but I would bet money that it would be fine and dandy on snares.

FWIW, I have no problem with a 57 as a guitar cab and snare mic. To eradicate* hat bleed, mic the bottom head only. It is very position sensitive on cabs, and I have never had luck with the "stick it right on the grille cloth" advice; I start by putting my fist sideways against the grille, and the capsule against my fist.

*Reduce to acceptable levels

I've got a recording where I used the e609 (silver) on both guitar and snare here:
http://www.myspace.com/sloanstewartmusic

It's the first song.

The e609 is micing the snare from the bottom and is also on the guitar amp for the "lead" parts.

Bass drum is some EV vocal mic
Overhead is a SP B-1
The bass and rythym guitar are direct.

This was kind of a test recording to see how it would work and I was pleased with the results. I use the e609 live about every weekend and it works really good.

hey bro, maybe try your d112 mixed in with the Oktava. you might like it!!! the d112 should provide your low and mids very well, and the Oktava will giet a nice more open sound.

Jacob

Jacobi1211 said:
hey bro, maybe try your d112 mixed in with the Oktava. you might like it!!! the d112 should provide your low and mids very well, and the Oktava will giet a nice more open sound.

Jacob
wow i never thought of something liek that

thats cool idea

Ok update:

I bought the MD421, because I found a good deal on them. Soon though I plan on getting a M201 from full compass for about $175. The MD412 has been awesome on tom, guitar, sometimes kick and vox.

Thanks for all your input!!

About the D112 I actually have used a trick like that before, but I find it works best on backing guitars. I used the D112 and a sm57, though I'll try the Oktava next time.

well, i dont think changing mics is going to affect the bleed you are getting from the hats.

why not just mic the snare from another angle, preferable pointed away from the hats or somthing?

i would imagine, (in theory) all cardiod mic's will pick up the same area if positioned in the same spot. i'm sure there are some slight differences but a new mic probably won't stop the bleed.

anyway, my alternative to the 57 is the Audix i5. similar mics, sound a bit differnent. i perfer the i5 on snare, over the 57.

Whoops, should have read the topic a bit more.

The m201 is my favorite dynamic snare mic, having used an e609, e604, MD421, and SM57. It has MUCH better off-axis rejection than the SM57, less of a midrange spike, a little more high end.

I'm liking a large diaphragm condenser on the side of the snare lately, but that obviously has pretty bad off-axis...but with four mics it's much easier to mix and sounds a lot more like what's in my head than the m201.

I've never been satisfied with any one mic on a guitar cab. I've really come to like the E609 blended with a ribbon. I like the slight scoup that the E609 gives you...panned a little wider puts some "air" on top and to the sides mixed with a ribbon for a nice full-round sound.

Oh yeah, guitar amp mics.

I have to agree with e609 with a ribbon. The e609 on its own is a harsh mic for sure (so much so I sold it). On a clean, dark amp, it can really help cut through a mix if that's what you want. And adding a ribbon and blending after EQ'ing, it really gave a 3D sound. I would only use it on dark speakers.

For most rhythm guitar, SM57 is my favorite. It's crunchy, can be aggressive or laid back, not too bright or dark, can get enough low end to sound huge. And it's very easy to EQ, unlike the e609. Usually I would put on iso headphones, have the guitarist play until I found a spot where the mic sounded "brightest", and there was the tone. My favorite for most speakers, especially V30's and T75's.

I've used MD421's and didn't like them as much as 57's. It's more of a "scooped" tone to my ears, meaning it doesn't have that midrange presence peak of the SM57. It gets a lot more low end thump than the 57 does for sure. I would use it on a midrangey speaker like a V30 if I wanted a more scooped sound but I *HATE* it on T75's. It accentuates everything I already dislike about that speaker.

Oddly enough, I've never tracked my M201 on a cab. I think I tried it once, but didn't like it as much as the SM57. It has less low end thump and a brighter sound with less of a presence peak. I think I remember it being a little grainy as well. Might be good on a little Champ or some kind of small speaker going for a vintage sound.

Two more sweet mics are the Nady ribbon and the e604 drum mic. The ribbon looks like an R-121 knockoff, and I'm sure it sounds nowhere near as good, but it's a nice warm/dark sound that is great a few feet back from the amp. Would do a cool room sound for sure. The e604 is a tom mic, but it sounds like a much smoother version of the e609...a lot like an SM57 without the presence peak. Sounded awesome for solos on brighter speaker cabs.

e609

I own two e609s. They are very versatile mics. I use it as my main guitar mic. The setup is good sounding. Of course, as mentioned above, if you tone isn't where you want it to begin with, a good mic is an after thought. I use a Hughes & Kettner through a mesa cab. It really sounds good. I'd highly recommend this mic. I've triued other mics, such as the 57, 421, and Audix I5. The audix sounds VERY good as well.

I've also used teh e609 on snare and floor tom. It sounds GREAT on snare, and does the job on floor tom. I prefer a D6 (audix) or beta52 on floor, but I tracked some drums last week w/the e609 on floor due to shortage of mics and was not left desiring much.

Lastly, I've also used this mic on trumpets and trombones. Again, this mic came through. Its a great all purpose mic, but with a little more finess than a run of the mill sm57.

I highly recommend it.

Oddly enough, I've never tracked my M201 on a cab. ... fast forward .... It has less low end thump and a brighter sound with less of a presence peak. I think I remember it being a little grainy as well. Might be good on a little Champ or some kind of small speaker going for a vintage sound.

That's a lot to remember for a mic you've "never tracked with" before. :D

Back