Dynamic Microphone and XLR to Jack?

AlexNew

I've just started building a small home studio to make some demo tracks for my band. Im totally new to all this and have been doing some research and opting for the cheapest option most of the time. But now i've hit a dead end. Will a dynamic microphone (the Behringer XM1800S) work with a Female XLR to 6.34mm jack? when plugged into a mixing desk. I am confused with the idea of phantom power...
Any help appreciated.
Alex

I have some XLR to XLR cables now i also have an SM58. Does the SM58 need phantom power? and if does, does that mean i cant use the Behringers (mentioned above) with XLR?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
The 58 doesn't require phantom power because it is not a condenser. I am not familiar with the Behringers in question. Hope this helps.

Hey, thanks alot.
The Behringers are condensers to, so no problems with phantom power! Thanks alot
Alex

Hey, thanks alot.
The Behringers are condensers to, so no problems with phantom power! Thanks alot
Alex

Ok, phantom power is used on condenser microphones for the following:

A condenser or capacitor is something that "stores" a charge, so the condenser works in the following way, it has two plates, when a voltage of 48volts its applied (AKA Phantom power) the capsule detects variations in voltage when the sound hits the mic, this variations translate into sound. But because the condenser capsule has very high impendance, a transformer or something sort of an amplifier is needed, so part of this 48 volts are also used to power this amp.

Dynamic mics have moving coil diapraghms, basically like a speaker, a coil of wire is attached to the diapraghm and this is inserted between a magnet, when the coil moves due to sound hitting the mic, the magnetic field will be altered and this translates in to sound, so no need for phantom power to be used because its more like a mechanical action, BTW im being very general in this explanations, in fact theres a lot more to it, but i think you get the picture.

Sometimes dynamics or ribbon mics will also need phantom power to operate, depending the mic, this is to power up an internal amplifier in order to work, not to power the capsule...

Back