can a phantom powered mic pass through an unbalanced connection in the signal path?

Mongoo

Hi, I have recently been learning the tascam SX-1 and am trying to setup some connections.

I have a Tascam DA-88 and want to send the 8 RCA unbalanced inputs to the SX-1 over TDIF. I also have a stand alone mixing board with phantom power. I don't think the DA-88 has Phantom Power.

If I hooked up a Condenser mic to one of the RCA inputs or even a standard dynamic mic. How much trouble is it going to cause that the RCA inputs are unbalanced? How will phantom power work out, or will it just plain not work?

I could have the mics go into the standalone mixer for phantom power then into the DA-88 then into the SX-1. Or I could run the Mics into the DA-88 and then into the SX-1 and assign phantom power there. I just need to know if those unbalanced RCA inputs will make both of these scenarios impossible.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Mongoo

P.S. does anyone know if live signals can be routed through the DA-88 to the SX-1 via TDIF in real time or do you have to record and then play back to output to TDIF?

Thanks Again

You can't really run your mic straight to the DA88 because first off, it needs a preamp to get any real siganl. Secondly, it will need phantom power if it is a condensor and I believe that an unbalanced line will not be able to provide that. You will need to run all of your mics through your mixer whether it be the standalone or the SX-1 before you hit the DA88.

Okay, but...

So the mic signal that has already been pre-amped and phantom powered by a mixer, can then be sent via Direct out's of the mixer in a form that is able to pass through unbalanced RCA's with out problem? Is that right?

Thanks,

Mongoo

I belive that an unbalanced connection through a condenser running Phantom Power can cook the mic as there is no way for the voltage to return. I would look into this further, I would hate for you to cook your mic. But re-reading your post what I have said does not apply.

And the Da-88 is a recorder and does not have pre amps.

Mongoo said:
So the mic signal that has already been pre-amped and phantom powered by a mixer, can then be sent via Direct out's of the mixer in a form that is able to pass through unbalanced RCA's with out problem? Is that right?

Thanks,

Mongoo

This is true. As long as your mics are running w/ XLR to the mixer. Isn't the SX-1 a digital recorder? Why are you also using the DA-88, just curious.

Wait a minute. Back up. Hold on.

The SX1 is a recording system. What do you need the DA-88 for? DA-88's are 16 bit, the SX1 is 24 bit. The SX1 is a mixer and recording system all wrapped up in one thing, having another recorder is redundant and a little silly considering that the DA-88 is a step backwards.

TDIF, by the way, is a digital interface with it's own plug and cable. You can't use the rca connectors to send a digital signal.

I wish I didn't have the thing but I do

The DA-88 is something that someone bought becuase they don't know what the hell there doing and got con'ed into buying where it is non-returnable. Anyways, it is at my desposal now.

I have 3 rooms at my studio, and I already have all of the top row of inputs pluged in. I am looking for a use to this DA-88, becuase it has none so far. The SX-1 has TDIF in with a card in it and the DA-88 has TDIF out, so I was wondering If I could run 8 more channels through the DA-88's 8 Unbalanced RCA inputs and out TDIF to the SX-1. I would have to use a mixer for the mic's before it hits the DA-88 it sounds like though.

The only point to doing any of this is so I won't have to unplug cables excesivly. Instead I can just pull up a router setting from the software and be ready to go.

I know there are other options such as getting a 8 channel mic pre with ADAT out, but the machine came with a TDIF card and this DA-88 has TDIF out. IF this is no good, or just a plain bad Idea thats fine two, but if this doesn't work That DA-88 is doing about as much good as a Large Heavy Rock.

Does that answer your question?

Thanks

Mongoo

You can used the TDIF from the DA-88. I would suggest using the balanced inputs on the DA-88. You need a cable (which I might be able to help you out with) that goes from balanced 1/4 (or xlr) to D-sub.

At this point, the DA-88 would become a set of eight 16 bit converters. They aren't terrible, but you will need a board or outboard preamps to feed the DA-88 and provide phantom to the mic.

About the Cable

So what where you thinking in regards to the cable?

Do you know of any 8 channel Preamps with TDIF? Or any other useful uses for an unused TDIF card?

Mongoo said:
So what where you thinking in regards to the cable?
I have a couple extra 1/4 to D-sub that I might consider selling. There is very little that is compatable with TDIF. If you find an 8 channel preamp that has adat outputs, you could get the adat to tdif converter and use that. tdif can transfer 24 bits, just the DA-88 is only 16 bit.

It is too bad you didn't get a DA-98, those are 24 bit.

I have 5 of them. I have found that they aren't worth selling. You might get $150-$200 for them on E-bay. That sucks because these thing were $5000 list. Nobody wants the hassle of tape anymore and 16 bit is passe. I'm going to use mine to do mobile recording, if I can find a way to make it worthwhile.

Farview said:
I have 5 of them. I have found that they aren't worth selling. You might get $150-$200 for them on E-bay. That sucks because these thing were $5000 list. Nobody wants the hassle of tape anymore and 16 bit is passe. I'm going to use mine to do mobile recording, if I can find a way to make it worthwhile.

That's amazing. It wasn't that long ago that they were the dogs nutz.

Mongoo - I have a Yamaha 03D digital mixer with a TDIF card in it. I haven't looked lately to see what it's worth, but it might be something for you to consider. PM me if interested.

-RD

Back