Buying mics: before sale or during sale

gumplunger

I need to go get a pair of MK012's, another 57, some stands and some cables from Guitar Center, so I'm plotting to take $400-450 cash with me and just say "here, make me a deal", cause that usually works with them. They're going to have their Labor Day sale on Sept. 6 so I'm wondering whether I should go now or during the sale. Here's my thinking, during the sale they may just want to redirect me and get me to buy some other SDC's they have on sale or something because I doubt they're going to have discounts on the stuff I'm looking for. On the other hand, they might be more lenient to give me a discount because it's during a big sale. Any advice?

PS: sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I couldn't think of a more appropriate one.

I worked in a music store for several years and I suggest you try to cut a deal before the sale.

It is very likely that your local GC will be extremely busy the day of the sale and the sales staff will not have the time or desire to "cut deals". From my experiance, the "Holiday sales" don't tend to offer anything better than you could negotate on any given day (well, there may be some "blow-out items" that are selling at or below cost - but often those items are things few people want or need).

If you have a good idea on what you want to pay for the mic's you need (by comparing web pricing, etc) - try to deal now. Candidly, the week before a sale someplace like GC tends to do less business (everyone is waiting for the sale) which can be a good time to deal (since the store has daily & weekly sales goals). But don't wait until the day before the sale - since the GC staff will be making final preparation for the sale.

Back