bob dylan

does any one know which microphone was used on bob dylans 'lay lady lay' (album version). i've always liked the way his voice sounds on that recording, deep and wit a tremendeous low end but i can't find more about it any where on the net nore came across it in any of the books i read about him.

True his voice sounds great on that track. Must have had some magic mike because his voice never sounded like that again.

It may be over at the "Classic Tracks" archived articles on Mix Magazine's website.

He used the EV RE20 for all his vocals on "Blood On The Tracks" FWIW.

Chris

c7sus said:
Dylan had quit smoking during the Nashville Skyline sessions.

He also intentionally sang differently for that album. He was quoted as saying "Jonny Cash taught me how to sing." After his old fans complained though, he went back to his previous style of "singing."

I'm a big Dylan fan, but I can't say that's one of my favorite albums...

thanks for the input guys!
yeah i do realise it's not just the mike but his style of singing and many other factors that make him sound so different on nasville skyline (he went through some more different styles in the 40 years he's been rercording - some more succesfull then others :D ) but i feel there's an extra quality to the sound of his voice like one spicific mike that brings out all the deep resonance and sounds really really warm (hell i don't know how to discribe what i hear) .

There's a bunch of meaty sounds from a lot of his tracks, both vocals and some acoustic guitar sounds.

How about those strange mixes where his voice is Right and Guitar panned left. On some solo stuff the separation is weird.

Have you listened to the newly re-mastered releases? I haven't heard them yet.

Back