Best Mic kit for the best deal?

Drums4tanner

I need a mic kit. i dont want to be spending mucho dinero ($$$) on a mic kit but i definetly dont want shitty quality. Im going to be playing metal (if that has anything to do with basing my decision).I want to mic my snare,bass,toms(2 rack toms,2 floor toms. i dont mean 4 mics for every tom), hats,and an overhead(do i need 2?) If anyone knows of a good kit please tell me. Your replies are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What is your budget for the entire mic kit? And how do you plan on micing the toms if you're not going to put a mic on each tom?

When doing live shows I can at times get away with one over head microphone and a kick drum microphone then if the drummers is weak on the snare I may mic that as well.

Shure has a mic kit that (if I remember right) has a Beta 52 (kick) and 3 or 4 57's. That is probably the most versatile kit there is, because the 57's can be used for just about anything when you don't need them on drums.

If you have a kit with two racks and two floors, you can put a 57 between each set of two toms. The cymbals will bleed through just fine. If you have been getting away with only a kick and overhead, there is absolutely no reason for a hi hat mic.

If you really want to do it well, you can go used. Get some Sennheisser e604's for the toms, a Beta 52/AKG D112/Audix kick mic for the kick and a couple cheap SDC's for overheads/hat.

Back