bad vocalists

booyah14

Alright so I'm finally ready to start recording some bands and the last thing that I'm still not sure on is on a good vocal mic. I have looked at tons of forums for vocal mics, but couldn't really find the answers I was looking for so I figured this was the best place to start. I should start off by saying that I will mostly be recording metal/metalcore bands. So it will entail a ton of screaming/toughguy vocals. Almost everyone has strongly recommended that I use the shure sm7 for this type of vocals so I have definitely been reading up more on this mic. So I think I am good there.

However, a lot of these bands are starting to try the vocal hooks these days so I was wondering what would be a good mic to check out on a vocalist that will most probably have a very limited range and one that I assume will be more on the deeper side. I just don't really see a metal band really hitting those high notes. So any suggestions on a mic used mainly for vocals that would really emphasis the lower notes of a vocal hook. I should say price isn't a huge factor, so feel free to recommend anything within reason

I think the SM7 is an excellent recommendation. You'd be hard pressed to find a better mic for that style of music. You'll need a good, clean preamp to drive that mic, though, as it has a relatively low output.

Hmm. Well, you might mean a vocalist will try a melodic phrase, perhaps falsetto, perhaps wanting a shimmery sound to it. Any of the usual suspects in the Chinese LDC range might do for that.

Back