ART TPS: does it suck?

WithoutREason

I recently got an ART TPS. After recordng some vocals and guitars on, Ive come to nice that its really harsh sounding. vocals are super sibillant and guitars are really harsh especially when using it with amplitube. In comparison to the pres in my Digi 001 its much harsher and brighter. What gives?

I had an ART DPS II which is basically the same thing but rack mounted and with a digital out.

You've basically listed the reasons why I returned it to the local guitar store !

It can suck or not suck, depending on how you turn the knobs. For me, it beats the heck out of the preamps on the Mackie VLZ Pro. I suppose it all depends on what you're comparing it to.

If it's extremely harsh, you might have an impedance or level mismatch. What are you plugging it into?

DonF said:
It can suck or not suck, depending on how you turn the knobs. For me, it beats the heck out of the preamps on the Mackie VLZ Pro. I suppose it all depends on what you're comparing it to.

If it's extremely harsh, you might have an impedance or level mismatch. What are you plugging it into?

Yep... turn down the input preamp (connected to the tube) and turn up the output preamp... you should wind up with a much cleaner, smoother signal. It works well for me.

oh yeh and does anyone notice that it has like no head room?

does anyone know of any mods that can be done to the TPS or is it ebay time?

Re: Re: ART TPS: does it suck?

WithoutREason said:
thats what its going into: A DIGI 001
Which input? Seems like one of the analog ins 3-8 would be better than the mic/line inputs 1-2 (since there's probably no way to bypass the 001's built-in preamps on the mic/line ins).

Like kid klash said, if I turn my gain up, it gets noisy and I pick up nasty static. I have had one for a year and now Ive moved on to better, cleaner stuff (i.e. Great River, Sytek, Avalon). I've totally pulled it out of my rack and will sell it if I can.

ART TPS

My experiences with the TPSII/DPS-II:

(1) The TPS-II is supposed to address some noise-level issues. I use a DPS-II.

(2) The impedence controls (which are not active for front-panel HiZ inputs) have a considerable effect on smoothing out or sharpening the characteristics of a mic.

(3) The factory labeling of the presets might mislead you---you may get a a "warmer" setting on a a preset other than "warm."

(4) I get tons of headroom with this unit and I am able to get ridiculously loud/full signals that don't clip my recorder's inputs.

(5) The flexibility to process a wide range of sources has the downside of requiring more tweaking. For any given signal there are five interacting adjustments to make on the TPS/DPS: pad, input level, output level, preset, and impedence.

Paj
8^)

Back