Tip on installing Rhodes hammer tips

Muckelroy

If you own a Rhodes piano, and it's stock, you may have worn out hammer tips. VintageVibe.com sells new hammer tips. Thing is, you've gotta get the old one off first. They have many a video on how to do this, but those old tips are glued on. You need to cut them off somehow, and the videos all suggest using a box cutter or razor blade of some sort. You can then use a dremel to clean up the excess old rubber and glue.

If you like your fingers in one piece, I beg you: DON'T DO IT THIS WAY.

I now have 3 stitches in my index finger. I stupidly started cutting off the old hammer tips with a box cutter, and as careful as I was, I slipped a bit, and ended up having to go to the clinic to get stitched up.

I've resorted to a much safer method: Unhook all the bridle straps from the dampers, and remove each hammer. After you remove one hammer, lay it flat on a surface, and cut downward to remove the old hammer tip.

Then, clamp down the hammer in a vice (not too hard, put a cloth to ease the pressure as the hammers are tapered) and dremel out the excess.

This takes several hours longer than the original method, but has the added bonus of keeping all your appendages and blood cells.

Back