Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: stage piano

Thanks

stage piano

Sign in to disable this ad
    Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get a stage piano with 6-8 decent sounds for some where in the 1000 -1200 range?
    I've been using an Allesis QS8 and can't bear it any longer for piano sounds anyway.

I don't care about midi or sequencing just something that sounds really nice. I visited the Korg site and heard some nice tritons but I don't need all the extra goodies.

Thanks
    There are many out there and most within your price range or a good deal cheaper.

Try Googling 'Stage Piano', because Google is your friend.

Also it wouldn't hurt to search this board for similar questions. This one qualifies as an FAQ.

...now in HD.

Thanks
    For what it's worth, I've tried all the 88 key weighted stage pianos I can get my hands on recently and to my ears the Roland Fantom X8 has the best piano sounds, champagne clear I would say. For most keyboards, piano sounds tend to either be too dark and muddy (e.g Roland 700sx, bought and quicky returned) or too bright and thin. But the Fantom (to my ears) is perfectly balanced in the middle and crystal clear. But the X8 is a huge workstation and not practical for gigging, so I bought the Fantom XR rack unit. Unfortunately though I can't get the crystal sound using my Roland A90 controller. I've matched the XR settings to the X8 in the shop, and surprisingly the compression 'effect' employed on the X8 was vital to get close. Changing the velocity curve on the A90 has helped as well, but it's still not the sound I fell in love with! But that's my problem I guess...

So now I'm looking for a new weighted controller, Yamaha keyboards (P120, CP33) are too spongy for my liking and not enough finger room for my style of playing! (feels like I have to play with clenched fists) and I've enough Roland gear already, so I'm drawn to the Kawai MP4 ... nice action , good controller functions, not too heavy to carry and some surprisingly acceptable piano sounds... (did I need to buy that expensive Fantom sound module ) yet, it just looks a little plastic and naff to my eyes for a stage piano...

I've come to the conclusion there isn't the piano I want out there
    Last edited by Cazzbar; 11-15-2006 at 07:14.

Thanks
    I was in the same dilemma as you.

I also realised that to have piano sounds like the X8 and have its amazing weighted keyboard I had to have the X8 so I bought it.

I tried every other weighted keyboard that was available in my area and they all pretty much sucked (especially korgs and M-audio).

the new X8 also has the multitrack recording software built in , better sampling and also got a free SRX board with it (analogue essentials), it turned out to be a great deal

BTW the Grand piano in the X8 is 4x sampled per key , thats what makes it so good , the high keys do not have the shrill sound that most stage pianos suffer from .

Thanks
    I'm thinking I should have dived in with both feet and got the X8 now but it just looks a monster for transporting

Are you saying the X8 has a different piano sound to the XR by the way? I just assumed they were the same..............

Thanks
    I'll have to find a kawai MP4 to demo. I've heard their acoustic grands and they sound nice. I don't want to spend 3K on a workstation they depreciate as fast as computers.

Thanks for the info. I was considering something along the lines of a CP120 but haven't played one yet. So they have a smaller scale keyboard or just not as deep. I find the keyboard of my Alessis comfortable it is just the crummy piano sound that annoys me

Thanks
    Yes the X8 has a piano mode button where it loads the stage grand sound . when it does this you dont get to play with any other parameters because the keyboards DSP power is almost completely used up processing the multitude of individual samples for the 88 keys. As far as i know you don't get this feature on the rack, it's one of the reasons the X8 costs so much more. Also the rack does not have the audio expansion pack that gives it it's multitracking and recording features which are actually really useful.

The keyboard is not really that heavy , i carry it by myself.

Thanks
    I just got a prokeys 88sx for 300 bucks, but I'm guessing you're willing to spend way more than that? You can try a Nord Electro, I just tried one out ysterday. Semi weighted keys, but the sounds are good, and the Rhodes sounds are INCREADIBLE! I've never heard a keyboard with better Rhodes sounds.

Thanks
    Thanks cortexx, that's given me loads of food for thought. I'm not too bothered about the recording side of things as I've a 24 tracker already, and I've never had the need for a sampler. I only wanted the XR for the piano sound, and if it can't reach the heights of the X8 then I'm starting to question my purchase. (I've already exchanged the RD700sx for the XR, a transaction which didn't go too smothly! they're gonna love me in the shop if I go back )

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazzbar
    Thanks cortexx, that's given me loads of food for thought. I'm not too bothered about the recording side of things as I've a 24 tracker already, and I've never had the need for a sampler. I only wanted the XR for the piano sound, and if it can't reach the heights of the X8 then I'm starting to question my purchase. (I've already exchanged the RD700sx for the XR, a transaction which didn't go too smothly! they're gonna love me in the shop if I go back )
    Cool you live in Bristol , I used to live in Exeter before I emmigrated to Canada.

Thread Information