searching for a direct digital keyboard (wav triggering)

seg

Hi, I've been trying to find a keyboard, or something, that would let me manipulate wav files as opposed to midi files.

I've been using an excellent free program called Sound Plant for a few years, but due to the restrictions of using a computer keyboard (delay, not touch sensitive) I think its time for me to move forward.

I want a keyboard or something with buttons, that would trigger a wav file on my computer. Hopefully i can find something that will trigger a loop, and then allow my to adjust the pitch and the starting point and ending point of the wav in real time.

I've determined that midi would not be sufficient because I want to beable to import weird sounds and vocals made from scratch. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

- Seth

You need a software sampler. I don't know if Sound Plant is it, if so, cool. Expensive options are Native Instruments Kontakt and Steinberg's Halion. Not used Gigastudio or Fruity Loops but I think they're also along these lines.

A small keyboard like the M-Audio Oxygen8 provides the MIDI data to trigger your samples. Then you set the sampler up as a VST instrument in your sequencer, and record your triggers in real time or draw them in by hand. This system is great and you can be going in no time.

Mackie's Tracktion sequencer has a usable sampler built in, if that helps.

You'll also wan't to invest in a soundcard with low-latency drivers (most likely ASIO drivers), especially if you want to play live with no percepievable delay. Check out the various M-Audio ones. Or better yet Chech out Emu's EmulatorX http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EmulatorXStu/
Available in smaller versions too. Basically you get:

-Multi I/O Soundcard
-Soft-Sampler
-MIDI Interface (For non-USB controllers, such as any synthesizer made within the last 20 years)
-Hardware accelerated FX
-Built-In Mixer (For standalone operation)
-Appears as a VST in host sequencers
-Supports multi-client access to the ASIO driver

hey thanks for your quick responses! I'll start looking into software sampler stuff..
Will I need to buy a keyboard before I can see how the sampler works?

[edit]
also, will i be able to program an individual wav file for each key on the oxygen keyboard? or is it limited to pitch changes?
[/edit]

Thanks!
- Seg

Last edited:
A half-decent sampler will let you set up any way you like. You can set as many samples as you like, either per key or over a range of keys. There are octave up and down buttons on the Oxygen8 which will let you skip between all your different ranges of samples. :)

seg said:
Will I need to buy a keyboard before I can see how the sampler works?
You shouldn't as most hosts provide some sort of provision to trigger the sounds without a keyboard (via virtual keys, Piano Roll Editor, etc.). If the sampler is a standalone version this doesn't apply, but most standalones all feature a keyboard in software (Usually right in the Keyzone mapping section, where you assign samples to individual keys or entire keyzones). Obviously, to really achieve maximum results and benefits you'll need a controller.

This sounds promising.. Thanks for all the input! I'm probably gonna go with the Oxygen8. (Inexpensive, small, provides the functionality i need)

I guess my major concern now is what software I should use.
I want something that allows me to press a button to turn on a loop, and then allows me to mute it, adjust the pitch, and adjust the start time and end time in real time.
I have been playing around with Fruty loops, but haven't really figured out if it can do these things. Can anyone direct me to a some specific info on how to do this?

If not, I'm willing to check out other software too... Does anyone who has experience in manipulating loops have any recommendations?

Thanks!

- Seg

Back