Problem with Sustain Pedal

Whyte Ice

The Next Vanilla Ice
I'm having a problem with my sustain pedal right now. Whenever I don't press on the sustain pedal, the notes are sustained but when I press on the sustain pedal, the notes stop. It's working in reverse. I want the notes to sustain when I press and hold it down, not when I let it up. I'm using an M-Audio Radium 49 controller and I've read through the manual and M-Audio's website a few times to see if there is any setting to change but nothing.

The sustain pedal works on another keyboard of mine fine, it works the way it should but not on this. I was thinking that it might be my pedal. It's a very cheap generic one and doesn't look like the kind used on pianos.

Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

This is a common problem. I don't remeber the technical term - but some keyboards do work in reverse. Normally the keyboard has a parameter that you can change. Some pedals have a switch that can reverse the pedal action.

If you can't find a parameter adjustment on the jeyboard or the pedal - you will need a different pedal.

It is called polarity. If the keyboard has no settings to change polarity, you will need to buy a new pedal.

I'm just gonna buy a new sustain pedal anyways. Tired of this cheap POS one I have now. It's always creaking when you play with it and looks like a Ghostbusters accessory.

Thanks for the help guys.

This isn't a polarity problem. Some footswitches are "normally open", others are "normally closed".

normally open: the switch contacts are open until you hit the switch.
normally closed: the switch contacts are closed until you hit the switch.

Both of the above switches are "momentary" switches. They change state only when pushed. There is a third type that changes state every time it is pushed. Push once - it's on. Push again - it's off. This type wouldn't be used for a sustain pedal but are popular for turning effects on and off or switching amp channels.

Some equipment will sense whether the switch is open or closed when it powers on. It will treat that as the normal condition. Most equipment needs to have the proper switch. Some footswitches are selectable. They can be set to be "normally open" or "normally closed". The type you need should be documented in your keyboard manual.

Don

problem with sustain pedal in Cubase

The notes hold and stick when using the sustain pedal. Any help?! When I use the pedal, it registers in Cubase that I'm actually playing notes (in audio!). Also, when I use the sustain function in Cubase, the notes sometimes stick and hold as well. Do help me somebody!.Thanks

dumelara77 said:
The notes hold and stick when using the sustain pedal. Any help?! When I use the pedal, it registers in Cubase that I'm actually playing notes (in audio!). Also, when I use the sustain function in Cubase, the notes sometimes stick and hold as well. Do help me somebody!.Thanks

GET SONAR!!

;)

Try holding the pedal down when you power up the keyboard. That should reverse the polarity again. Anyway, that's how my M-Audio MK461c works ...

Back