Need help getting reaquainted with MIDI keyboard controllers

connolly

Things have changed since I last was into MIDI (about 10 years ago). What are the functions of all the knobs, faders, encoders, etc. that adorn so many of the mid- to upper-priced controllers on the market today?

Thanks in advance for enlightening me.

Things have changed since I last was into MIDI (about 10 years ago). What are the functions of all the knobs, faders, encoders, etc. that adorn so many of the mid- to upper-priced controllers on the market today?

Anything you want them to be. The Wheels/Joystick generally do pitch and modulation. The knobs do Attack, cutoff and various filtering, and a decay or release. Thats the most basic stuff.

Hiya connolly

When hooking these MIDI controllers to a computer running virtual instruments, the faders and knobs can be assigned, as DavidK mentioned, to pretty much any parameter of a virtual instrument that can be controlled by MIDI. Many of these controllers have a 'learn' function whereby you 'arm' the controller and use the mouse to activate or change the value of the virtual instrument's fader/switch/VCA/whatever and the MIDI controller's knob/fader will be assigned those particular control values.

pretty cool, huh? :)

Maybe I'll get myself one someday

Dags

With m-audio boards, you can program any sliders and knobs to basically do what you want. However, i have to be quite honest in the fact that i found very quickly that it was easier to just use a mouse most of the time. I have an m-audio axiom that has alot of features but i'm just using it like a regular old board. I find it's often easier to use a mouse, plus i forget what does what. However, i do use my knobs for automation, that's very convient. I just use one though and just assign it as needed.

If you are using external sound modules, i find controllers to be very convient. You can just go through sounds right off the board instead of going to the module, turning a knob or pressing a button, get back on the board, and repeat until you have the right sounds. Plus, once you are familar with the module, just punch in a number and the sound comes up.

I also like pads for both drums and sampling. I think it's worthwhile. Anyway, i don't use my axiom to the fullest at all but i still love it. Their are many similar keyboards with similar functions from various brands. Even though i don't take advantage of many things, what i do take advantage of has been worth while over my really basic board i used before this one.

Thanks for the responses.

Talontsiawd and others:

I use the DigiDesign SoftSynth within ProTools. Is the M-Audio brand a better choice since they have a relationship with DigiDesign? Or does it make any difference? How important is aftertouch? I know the Axiom has it but some of the less expensive boards do not.

Back