making lemonade out of lemon

bronxbardetroit

for fun, i bought a cheap electronic drum kit, super cheap (Bafo- Soul Drum). I am hoping to use it with my other recording software, but the software required to use the kit is bad (won't allow you to use other windows programs simultaneously), all of the drums are .bgm extensions. so i was hoping either to use the current software, but convert midi, wav drums into bgm (is this possible) or find a freeware program that has better drum sounds to recognize the drum kit, or do i need to get a drum console instead?? Trying to be as inexpensive as possible, but will pay for quality...

thanks for any advice..

just an idea for you to try.
search google for HOTSTEPPER. this is a very interesting program i use that
is FREE and lets you sequence wave samples of ANYTHING.
it could be drums, mixed with synths , nixed with lions roaring if you wish.
all you need is in your case a CD of decent drum samples in wave format.
that is royalty free. i think you can buy bob clearmountain drum cd.
which apparently is good. or from effects houses you can buy batches of CD's with drums on and lots of other instruments including as well the type of fx you hear in movies.
hotstepper is very interesting. just play some of the included examples and i think youll get hooked like i was. you just get everything right in hot stepper then export into your favorite sequencer in stereo wav format.
if you dont have a multitrack software i highly recommend powertracks
for 29 bucks from pgmusic.com. that i use.
also what may be of interest to you is it includes a capability to build your own drum patterns . it also includes lots of different music style patterns you might find interesting. also check out the powertracks user forum at pg.
these folks are (fellow users) very knowledgeable and friendly and helpfull to no end. a very usefull forum to learn from.
just trying to help. peace.

i looked up your bofo kit on the net but couldnt acertain if there was a drum brain. if there is then you could take a line out from the brain into the sound card and record the different sounds and SAVE as a wave file so you wouldnt have to worry about the file extension. failing that if its all software and the pads interract with the pc then what you could do is "play"
on one pc while recording the sounds from the first pc to the second and once again save as a wave file.
you could then import these "drum hits"/samples into powertracks and mash them around using some of powertracks effects, and maybe new samples you record on top on other tracks, and get some unique sounds going.
if you find the samples are "noisy" try powertracks noise gate set to about -18 to -26 db (you have to try different cur off points depending on signal level as you dont want the sample audio cut - just the noise).
hope this helps.
ps would help if you told me if bofo gives you a line out from a brain or is it just software and some midi pads ?
peace.

Not sure if this helps, but the line out from the Bofo drum kit (aka Come1 / Soul Drum) is through a USB line. My CPU detects it as a game controller.

Have been trying to match up Hotstepper with the drum kit, but your advice is appreciated..

Brian

hmm - so bofo has no regular AUDIO LINE OUTPUT ?
just an idea - ask the folks at the powertracks forum at pgmusic.com.
they might have a better solution than i do for you.
great bunch of users.
if were me and bofo had a line out i would just record the individual boffo hits as wave files if you can find a way to do it THEN use hotatepper and powertracks to build drum tracks. this is what i do.
sorry i cant help you further. NOTE IN HOTSTEPPER at the bottom you can TUNE SAMPLES UP OR DOWN !!

Back