KX88 help needed - how to configure voices?

c4racer

I recently picked up a Yamaha KX88 that is controlling a Korg Titan rack sound module. This is my first MIDI rig, so I am very new to how all of this stuff works.

I read through the entire KX88 manual and could not find anything on how to change the voice settings stored in bank A 1-32. In play mode when I hit those buttons it will change the sound program on the Triton module, so there is some data stored in them, but what they select seems completely random. Is there a way to store my 32 most used patches in those locations so I don't have to change them manually from the rack?

I could use a quick answer as I have a gig this Friday night, and would love to save myself the hassle of trying to do quick changes since I seem to use a different program on nearly every song we play.

:confused:

There must be a dozen pages describing how to change every other parameter for fine tuning the sound - none of which I really care about right now, I just want to have my favorite patches available at the touch of a button. Maybe that isn't possible to change in the KX88?

On page 21 of your KX88 manual there is a chart of the way to set the individual buttons to send any program change from 1 to 128. Start from button A1 and select the program change number you desire, then save it and repeat the process for all 32 slots.

At the time the KX88 was made the Yamaha convention was to transmit program changes in sets of 32 so it is primarily set up to send that way.

I will try that - thanks. My sound module has voices on 1-128 on about 20 different banks, so that might be interesting....

hmm - page 21 in my manual is not a chart - it is a block diagram of connections in/out of the board. I do not see how to change the program values - when you go into CA mode to program the 1-16 program buttons are used to set other parameters.

Perhaps there are different revisions of the manual, and the operating system of the KX88.

According to my manual there is no way to assign program changes to the patch change buttons on the KX88, they are hardwired.

However, you can access all 128 patches from your KX88 1-16 buttons. What you need to do is set your KX88 to 8 bank mode. To do this:

Press "mode" to get the blinking "CA" symbol.
Press "bank 2/8" once, then again to toggle between 2 and 8 bank mode.
Press "mode" again to get back to performance mode.

Now you access each of the 8 banks by first pressing "A", which will now blink. When it is blinking, press 1-8 to select the bank, then the patch you want within that bank.

This is a bit cumbersome, but it will get you to the patches you want.

I see no information in my manual about programming the 32 memory slots to send custom patch change information.

thanks - i couldn't find anything either - I did figure out how to use the 8 bank mode, but that still doesn't quite do what I need either because that only switches within the bank of the sound module that I am on, and there are 7 or 8 different banks on my Triton. So all-in-all I guess it is just easier to make the change on the Triton rack module itself, although sometimes it takes me a few seconds if we are calling audibles and I don't know exactly what patch to look for by memory..... No solution to that other than just knowing what voices I use for different songs rote - which will come with time. I found a nice stand where I can position the sound module off to the left of the keyboard and have good access to switch voices between songs. I guess it is no harder than switching on a complicated board like a Kurtz which I used previously.

Back