Keyboard sound levels

ApeDosMeow

Iv'e been recently recording tracks with my band as we have a keyboardist. He tends to use his Keyboard more than a MIDI one for obvious reasons (he knows his better)

but still. a delema, here is where I need some expertise advice. Sound levels.

Generally the ambient sounding keys should be very slightly heard, right? Any band members or keyboardists here have advice on this?

We don't have a bassist so he sometimes tries to reproduce that with keyboard sounds. still we need leveling ideas

Also a second keyboardist who does more leads. Advice on how they should level out with the drums and guitars

No bassist.

Thanks for the help in advanced

The level of kyboard sounds depends on the role of that sound. Pad sounds that to be a support role, thus a lower in the mix. Melodic lines that are an important part of a song may be louder in the mix. If it is the bass line, it should be enough in the mix to provide bottom without being too muddy.

In general - mixing keyboard sounds is not that different than mixing guitar/bass guitar sounds

If he plays sounds for a variety of different "roles" (bass, melody, etc.), I'd suggest having him record different parts to differetn tracks, even if he plays them all together live. That way you can mix each part seperately; then just mix it to where it sounds good to you and get some other opinions to verify.

Back