Jupiter 4 output problem

Wingpen

i bought a Roland Jupiter 4 of ebay last week but no signal is coming from the output jack sockets. It comes out of the headphone socket fine. Also the volume pot doesnt seem to work at all.

anyone know what the problem might be?

It sounds like the aging volume pot just gave up the ghost. Take the signal out of the headphone jack for now until you can find someone to repair it.

wouldnt there still be a signal coming through anyway even if the pot was broken somehow?

its not the kind of thing that just dies is it?

It's not the kind of thing that just dies is it?
Maybe. That's why you need to take it into a certified Roland repair shop and have a tech look at it. Best case will be it's just a bad wire - worst case will be the whole output stage needs to be replaced. Most likely it's somewhere between those two.

Wingpen said:
wouldnt there still be a signal coming through anyway even if the pot was broken somehow?

its not the kind of thing that just dies is it?
Almost everytime, I have seen a volume pot die, it died completely, killing any output.

Just curious, have you tried cleaning the output jacks. That is a fairly old synth, and you may have enough corrosion, to prevent a signal going out. Can't hurt to check this first, and try a bit of spray cleaner on the pots too. You'd be suprised what a bit of cleaning can accomplish for you. If your confident in your abilities, clean the key contacts too, cause they will probably be the next thing too stop functioning.

Whatever your outcome, these are good habits to get into doing every couple of months, especially when dealing with vintage gear. Hope the Jupiter treats you good, it really is a great old synth.

For the pots you can use a spray cleaner (Check Radio Shack), and you can use it on jacks too. For jacks I usually use a Brasso-like compound, and some high quality cotton swabs (like you use for ears, but not the cheap ones that fall disintegrate when wet). They also sell burnishing type tools too, that clean jacks and plugs very well, but they erode the metal contacts with each use, and eventually render your jacks useless, so beware of those.

Back