How do I hook up a DR 600 so the sounds won't trigger another source?

CeCe

Hey fellas. I have been asking around for this, and no one seems to know. Hopefully you do. I have a Boss DR-660 hooked up to a Motu MIDI Express XT, and I also have a JV 1010 and a Yamaha PSR-310 portable keyboard, all going into my G4 with Logic software. I figured out how to hook up the JV, so that's fine. However, I'm having a tough time MIDI-ing the 660. I've hooked up the ins and outs from/to the 660 into the interface, but the sounds crash into one another, adn I get that 'Buffer Full!' message. When I hook up the MIDI in to the MIDI out of the interface, I can play and record the drum notes from the machine pads, but I won't receive audio when I play it back (in other words, I'm only sending the data, not the sounds). When I switch the cabling, I can play the drum sounds from the keyboard, but they layer with the JV sounds when I play the notes, but will playback only the 660 sounds in Logic. Within Logic, the JV has one multi-instrument on one modem port, while the 660 is on another modem port. I want it hooked up so that I can play from the keyboard, but I can't figure out why the notes also trigger the JV sounds when Im using a separate multi-instrument and a separate drum port. Please Help! My creative juices hasn't flown since May of this year, and I'm so close, yet so far! Tell me: WHAT THE FUNK (OR LACK OF FUNK) IS GOING ON!

Thanks, CeCe

Hold on dude, i dont know what the heck you are talking about with your "modem ports". I use a Emagic UNITOR-8 which is a 8 in and 8 out midi patch bay, along with Cubase VST. NOW....first of all, when I used my old DR-660 (that I dont have anymore) along with my JV-1080, record a drum pattern in cubase, and had the 1080 and DR-660 daisy chained together through MIDI Thru's, I would get the rythym track in Cubase playing the 1080 and 660. So I could change the MIDI recieve channel on the DR-660 to 16 and that would fix the problem. BUT THE EASIEST way is to fix my problem was, just assign the DR-660 a different MIDI OUTPUT on my UNITOR-8. Do you have them on the same MIDI OUT? I have my setup as follows:

UNITOR 8-MIDI output 1: goes to Jv-1080
UNITOR 8-MIDI output 2: goes to Akai-s2800
UNITOR 8-MIDI output 3: goes to Roland S-330
UNITOR 8-MIDI output 4: goes to Alesis DM5
UNITOR 8-MIDI output 5: goes to Yamaha FB-01
UNITOR 8-MIDI output 6: goes to Yamaha TX81X
UNITOR 8-MIDI output 7: goes to Roland D-110
UNITOR 8-MIDI output 8: goes to Roland JW-50

And in Cubase, each MIDI track lets me assign a MIDI output 1-8 on my UNITOR-8, and a MIDI channel.
Try that. If you havent already. Sounds like your daisy chaining together, and your Cakewalk is playing the Dr-660 and JV BOTH ON MIDI CHANNEL 10

Back