Edirol PCR-A30 capabilities?

Looks like it will do the job with one small addition. Since the PCR-A30 has only line input jacks, you would need to add a small mixer like this to plug your microphones into. This mixer will provide phantom power for condenser microphones and will let you get two other stereo sources at a time into a submix ported into your computer.

Thanks ssscientist!

any thoughts as to sound quality? do you think i would be MUCH better off going with something firewire? i am looking at a tight budget, but if it means paying an extra $100-$150 to get a set-up that will last longer, i'd probably do that...i've been thinking about getting the m-audio firewire solo:

http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWireSolo-main.html

along with a keyboard controller...

any more thoughts?

btw...i'm using garageband on a pretty new iBook...

appleking said:
do you think i would be MUCH better off going with something firewire?
I think the setup in your first post will be as good as anything else considering your application and software. Garageband is great software compared to what was around even five years ago, and you're not going to hear any difference in the quality of the audio tracks by going firewire instead of usb, especially recording one or two tracks at a time. But if the snazzy name 'firewire' sounds nice and spiky and 'usb' sounds too clunky condsider this: the Edirol and a small mixer has full midi including faders and knobs. This may not seem important now, but when you need them to bring a stale, static song to life you'll be glad you don't have to buy another full interface just to get one with midi.

As far as mixers, this is a step up and sounds better.

Back