Could I learn to play synth by myself?

Akelio

I just recently bought a MicroKorg and now i'm puzzled on whether to take lessons or get a new keyboard. At first I thought I would just learn by myself but this seems tough and there's a lot I do not know how to do (MIDI, computer hook up and such, recording, sampling) I have an idea of what this stuff is but i'm kind of not really confident in myself teaching such a confusing topic that is synthersizers. Should I get lessons or is it possible with a lot of practice (5-10 hours a day) that I can learn how to do it myself. Thank you

mmmm

Depends on what you want to learn...

I would think with (2) 5 to 10 hour sessions or less you could probably have a reasonably good understanding of how MIDI works... I'm not saying you'll have all the details - But, understanding communication through MIDI would get you a good start.

If you're talking about literally learning to 'play' a keyboard/piano - that could take some time... That depends on your own personal taste, capability and what you want to accomplish when you think you're "Ready for action"...

Further out then that is utilizing the interface of devices you're interested in using... That is no more than reading a bit of the manual and messing with their interfaces... Most (as a rule) handle MIDI in the same manner and those basic theories we just spoke of can translate to all hardware you'd be using...

There are also some of us that use the motto: "Never stop learning"
Start with some training to get your feet wet - Experiment on your own...
Eventually you may find that the basic stuff is pretty much under your belt... Then strike out on your own until you run up against something that you feel you want more training in...

You'll find as you start learning musical concepts and techniques for recording and playing your own instrument, theory, hardware, tehcnology advances, etc. you WILL INDEED 'never stop learning!'

Good luck....

If your serious about learning, get another keyboard too. One with full size keys (At least 49-61 keys synth-action, 76 keys is even better, and 88 key full-weighted Hammer-action for the "Real" piano feel). I'm not saying ditch the MicroKorg. You just can't learn "Proper" finger placement on it.

with keyboards you always get what you pay for. I'd never recommend a casio-style portable piano. Having non-weighted keys will *really* hurt you during the learning-process. get a keyboard with weighted keys.

or just keep the microkorg and learn a few scales so you can noodle around and do a few cheesy solos.

By the way, what is your budget like? That will let us know what you can afford.
If your on a really tight budget like my brother who is sending his son to piano school. All he could afford was a cheap casio.

If you can afford a keyboard with weughted keys then by all means get one, if not don't rule out a cheap casio or Yamaha if you are really serious about learning.

Cheers,
Ben :)

shiatzu said:
Having non-weighted keys will *really* hurt you during the learning-process. get a keyboard with weighted keys.
Well, I wouldn't go that far. True, not having weighted keys will not give you the piano feel (Which is what many playing techniques are based around). But if you primarily going to be playing synth action boards anyways, than it isn't as relevant. Furthermore, there is so much to learn, that you could concentrate on other areas (I.e. memorizing scales, chords, etc.), at least until a good hammer action can be bought. By all means, get the best thing you can afford, but don't feel as though you won't be able to learn, if you can only afford the old Casio.

Oh and here is an awesome site for learning piano (and many other things too): http://www.8notes.com/piano/

Go about half way down the page to find the tutorials. Each link brings you directly to many step-by-step interactive tutorials. You really need to check it out.

Back