Confused, sound modules

iproduce

Im a little confused , If I was to buy a sound module lets say an Emu Phatt, and plugged it into my midi controller (radium), It provides more sounds?

midi controller by itself has no sound.
it sends midi signals to soundmodule to produce the sounds.

basically, midi controller + soundmodule = keyboard! :)

Yes. A module has sounds in it. Your controller can access those sounds.

If you run a MIDI cable from your controller's MIDI OUT, to the Planet Phatt's MIDI IN, you will be able to access and play the Planet Phatt's sounds.

Hope that makes sense.

:cool:

If I have a MIDI Controller, and a lot of different kinds of sound modules, is there a way where I can play with all the different modules without having to unhook the midi cables and plugging them back in?

applewormy said:
If I have a MIDI Controller, and a lot of different kinds of sound modules, is there a way where I can play with all the different modules without having to unhook the midi cables and plugging them back in?

Yes. With a MIDI patchbay you can easily control a lot of tone modules, computers, controllers, effects proccessors, or any device that uses MIDI. Good ones usually have 8 IN and 8 OUT or THRU. M-Audio makes a good one for $300, the MIDISport 8X8. I bought a used 8-channel Yamaha MJC8 for $60 on Ebay and it works great. The Digital Music MX-8 is a good used one too.

The M-Audio MIDISport 8X8 is the only new one I know of. Anyway, once you use a MIDI patchbay, you will never want to go back to constantly plugging and unplugging MIDI cables. Especially if you enjoy layering sounds from different synths- it's a breeze with a MIDI patchbay.

The much cheaper Midiman Thru 3X8 should work for most keyboard players. It let's you use three controllers to handle up to 8 modules.

I have one, but stopped using it when I was given MOTU Express XT.

Just program it (via PC with software) then forget it. Every possible combination I would ever need is all programmed into it.

Carl

Back