Cheap Sampler

Alexbt

Hi all,

I'm in need of a cheap sampler to get sounds off an existing board I may be selling soon, and to get samples of real instruments and so on.

I don't need anything top of the line. 16 bit 44.1khz will suffice.
Expandability would be nice, but I don't really want to spend much more than $150-200, unless I can get a good deal.

So, any suggestions? I'll be hitting up eBay to see what I can find once I know what to look for.

I would go with a software sampler for your Mac.

Here's a listing that looks a little out of date, but will probably still be useful.

It's looking like I may just invest in an old K2000. Then I'll be able to sample and play with sounds as well as get the built in fun stuff.

yeah. that's a great buy. probably even a better buy than an akai when i think about it...

Alexbt said:
I don't gig with my computer.
You said you needed a cheap sampler and listed a Mac in your signature line. Do you expect me to read your mind as well as your post?

Last edited:
An Akai S5000 or S6000 would be a good gigging sampler, especially since they can be maxed out to 256 megs of memory. The Emu Ultra series is also good, and they have a max memory of 128 megs. You sometimes see those Kurzweil K2000 racks or K2500 racks for reasonable prices as well.

Emu

May I also suggest the "ESI" Series???
I have an ESI-2000 with 32 meg of memory...
The interface is reasonably friendly, and there is some expandability if you're looking for for future modifications...
You can hook about any SCSI drive up to it you want...

You should be able to find a reasonable price on Ebay as well - I bought mine brand new 4 or so years ago for like 500.00 so it's got to be quite a bit less now...

Good Luck...

Sampler

Sounds like you need something quick and easy - I would personally go for Emu but Akai are cool too.

ESI-32, Emulator 3, ESI-2000 can all be had for very little money.

ssscientist said:
You said you needed a cheap sampler and listed a Mac in your signature line. Do you expect me to read your mind as well as your post?

I thought I implied I wanted a standalone box when I said I would spend up to $200 one and would be looking on eBay when I knew what I was looking for. :P

Thanks for the tips though, all.

I would agree with the Emu ESI recommendations. Cheap solid and easy-to-use. It might be worth spending a little more to get an Akai S5K, you will have a workhorse of the machine, very high spec, well-designed and very well built for live use.

I agree with EMU as well, but I take issue with the ease of use, especially creating your own samples. You need to buy into the whole EMU systems vernacular of sound organization. If you do it regularly, it's no big deal, but when I do it one or twice a year I find myself cursing through the manual within 15 minutes.

once the sounds are there, it's great. I also think the Emu filters are a lot cooler than AKAI's. But I think AKAI's looping capabilities are pretty sweet and they have an arguably larger entrenched sample base.

Back