2nd Tier Keyboard?

sajs

I am looking for a 2nd keyboard to compliment my Korg Pa1xPRO. I do not need anything fancy, ie. workstation,drum sounds etc. I just need one with 61 keys that has great piano, organ and brass sounds. Any recommendations?

This one has gotten some good chatter on this board ---

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--YAMMM6

It has a rudimentary sequencer and limited programability but it's appeal is that it has sounds from the Yamaha Motif series, and lots of them.

The other one you could look at would be this one ---

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--KORX50

It's a flexible little machine with everything you asked for and not much you didn't.

In my opinion you can't go wrong either way.

I am looking for a 2nd keyboard to compliment my Korg Pa1xPRO. I do not need anything fancy, ie. workstation,drum sounds etc. I just need one with 61 keys that has great piano, organ and brass sounds. Any recommendations?

Both Yamaha and Korg models suggested by Ssscientist are fine choices. Particularly Korg X50. It is truly fantastic how portable is that keyboard. However, Korg would hardly fit your requirements for great piano results. Sad really, because I love its looks. Yamaha is safer and mature choice in piano department - and you clearly state the need for great sounding piano.

Also, how about finding the least expensive keyboard within your reach? Old, new, borrowed and then add presently the most advanced piano sound?

Either way, you should consider RP-X. This module would greatly compliment your primary masterkeyboard and it will most certainly stay with you for a very long time. You wont easily depart from that sound in many, many years to come.

Thanks, those are what I am looking for. I can't believe the Korg only weighs 9 lbs! My Pax1Pro weighs about 45 lbs. I hope my local music store carries these.

The RP-X piano sounds are really good. I wish they had some organ demos. I guess I would need a midi keyboard to work that unit. I've never used a sound module before.

The RP-X piano sounds are really good. I wish they had some organ demos. I guess I would need a midi keyboard to work that unit. I've never used a sound module before.

Your Pa1x has not one but two midi ports built right in.

Unfortunately there are not module versions of either the Yamaha MM6 of the Korg X50, but there are MANY usable modules to be had on the used market.

For example, you could probably find a used Roland JV880 for a song and it has good piano, organ, string and general bread and butter sounds. Others to look for would be the Yamaha MU100 and the Korg TR-rack just to name two...

Sajs,

After reading your comments about your present understanding of MIDI - after all, we learn new things each day- I think it would be rewarding for you to clarify a few details? Your actual need for 61 keys or keyboard as such is because:

1) You really need another sound source to compliment your present Pa1xPRO keyboard's sounds... and you envision that in shape of smaller keyboard?

2) You only need to upgrade your present range of sounds?

3) You really have physical need for additional smaller keyboard to benefit additional flexibility toward synth playing/work?

If you are only after new and better sounds, then clearly your present Korg Pa1xPRO is more then adequate for all your keyboard playing needs. In that case you should concentrate entirely on dedicated sound module. Again I think you should look for RP-X and additional from Yamaha or Roland, exactly something like this. Provided you can afford one, two, or combination. But for now, you will most likely be more then happy and with either Yamaha or Roland modules on their own.

All I am looking for is a second keyboard or a sound module. I want to be able to play a piano sound with one hand and brass (or other sounds) with the other. I've tried splitting my keyboard but it doesn't work for me.

All I am looking for is a second keyboard or a sound module. I want to be able to play a piano sound with one hand and brass (or other sounds) with the other. I've tried splitting my keyboard but it doesn't work for me.

I think you need to dedicate some quality time with your manual :)

To best of my knowledge - and let any other owner correct me if I'm mistaking - you should be able to split four sounds across your PA1XPRO.

hey Anthony...you seem very knowledgable and I dont want to highjack sajs' thread, but I have a simlar dilemma. My main key weighs in at 90lbs, too heavy for transporting, I added a Hammond digi Organ to sencond tier, should I just go with a module with organ through midi or replace my main keyboard, its a ZR76, has pretty good piano and strings, which I mainly use, sorry sajs had to ask, did you decide on a keyboard yet, man...9lbs is the way to haul!
Thanks.

btw I dont play both at once : )

I think you need to dedicate some quality time with your manual :)

To best of my knowledge - and let any other owner correct me if I'm mistaking - you should be able to split four sounds across your PA1XPRO.

I know how to split the keyboard on my PA1XPRO. I don't want to split the keyboard to get 2 different sounds. I would prefer to have a 2nd 61 keyboard on top. I think I am leaning to wards one of the sound modules. Thanks.

I know how to split the keyboard on my PA1XPRO. I don't want to split the keyboard to get 2 different sounds. I would prefer to have a 2nd 61 keyboard on top. I think I am leaning to wards one of the sound modules. Thanks.

I like playing two boards at one time too:cool:

I dont know your Korg. If it is based on triton type sounds, you might wanna get a Yamaha or Roland for variety. I have an X50 and indeed it kicks ass. There is actually one piano on there that isnt bad, I forget the name of the patch (piano mf I think?). Its different than the usual Korg piano sound. Its not great but its OK.

The mm6 is very light too, I have one as well. Its also very good and has a nice piano, E. Piano and some decent instrument sounds.

Yes I am going to go with something other than Korg for this 2nd keyboard. Not that the Pa1X's sounds are bad, I just want a different sound engine.

I added a Hammond digi Organ to sencond tier, should I just go with a module with organ through midi or replace my main keyboard, its a ZR76, has pretty good piano and strings, which I mainly use, sorry sajs had to ask, did you decide on a keyboard yet, man...9lbs is the way to haul! Thanks.btw I dont play both at once : )

Hi Lectric_Lab,

Pardons for late reply. Sure you could go with mentioned module suggestions. But the real question I can't answer for you is > in what capacity is organ relevant to your playing?

Is it the sound alone that you after or perhaps, you are full-blown organ player who needs complete control over its instrument? Knowing that already makes your decision easier.

I remember ZR76, not bad machine, not bad at all. I miss that darkish Ensoniq looks. I think, you should take a tour to your favorite store and decide how much have things progressed since ZR76 and what new - not necessarily always for better - could precisely match your present taste and expectations.

Back