What is the equivalent to the 80's power chord?

When I started playing guitar EVH was IT! As I matured I found that it wasn't all that hard just different than what everyone else was playing. Looking back it is fairly easy to pick it up. Why can't I pick up stuff like Brent Mason plays that easily? :rolleyes:

Ya, Eddie's stuff is not too deep theory-wise. It's his sense of timing and how he puts notes together ryhtmically that makes his playing so charismatic. He is without a doubt the best improvisor in all rock guitar-dom.
And that's what we need: a guitar player with that inate, charismatic style of playing that makes people want to play the guitar. When I was 15, I wanted to be EVH. I could play along with every VH LP front to back. My girlfriend (now my wife!) used to hate it, 'cause she'd come over and I'd ignor her while I finished the record.

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

maestro_dmc said:
The 90's was all about drop D tuning, obviously, no news there.

I think the trend of songs in E where there is no 3rd, and the B and high E string drone through all the chords has become a signature sound of today.

--E(no3)---Bsus/E------A2---------C#m-----CMAJ7

E---0---------0---------0-----------0---------0
B---0---------0---------0-----------0---------0
G---9---------8---------6-----------6---------5
D---9---------9---------7-----------6---------5
A---7---------7---------0-----------4---------3
E---0---------0---------X-----------X---------X

I can think of songs by Jars of clay, Sixpence None the Richer, Delerious, Goo Goo Dolls, and more that use this.

I thought I would try this out, and man, I just started fiddling with these chords ... the Eno3, Bsus/E, A2, C#m, plus using another A2 (x02200) and a Bvariant (x24400), and wrote a brand new song...thanks. It sounds even cooler to throw in a few ninths a la Andy Summers (x02400, x24600, 046850, 079-11-00)

Here's a cool chord, but you must be able to fret with your thumb, or it won't work:

Or this variation, without "thumb-hook":

King Elvis said:
another thing the bands did back in the 80's was to tune down 1/2 a step

yeah pretty much all those bands played a half step down (VH, Crue, Ratt, etc......) sometimes even more than a half!

I think it was because they had such great singers! hehe

now days they just tune down like 3 or 4 steps or as far down as they can go before their strings start hitting the frets LOL

i think todays music is all about pedal tones, or notes that are in all the chords. an obvious example in oasis' wonderwall, keeping the d and g on the top two strings. this gets used in every type of music....plus it makes song writting easier. also, suspended 2nds are huge now like one of my fav chords is : 3x023x

I remember the 1/2 step down days. Id be learning VH songs , then some BOC stuff that was a half step up I believe, then some were normal. I had to get another gtr just because of all the retuning and of course I had a wammy and it broke strings alot at gigs and threw the gtr way out of tune , so I needed another gtr without the floating bridge.... Still I loved the 80's rock the best.
Dont forget George Lynch's diabolical diatonics. the wicked sounding power chords....
The drop D tuning is just power chords made simpler and lower. I now have a Digitech effects unit that drops the whole gtr way down and dirty without the retuning hassle.
I think its time to bring back the solos...........
Myx

Back