tool bass sound

crosswind

anyone know what he uses? im a drummer so this is out of my area really.. but i am doing some tracking and i was just curious how i could get that type of bass sound. its really got a life of its own i think. Like steve steven's sound does. How does one go about getting that signature sound? I usually just DI and live mic my bass tracks, then pre and compress them some. Some light EQ at times, all depending on the situation of course, those are all interchangeable. Lets open up. Tell me how u get ur bass sounds! While we're at it. I always wondered how to get that BIG BASS SOUND. u know with the smooth low end that just glides through the mix , and yet. that kick drum is still right there. I imagine its done with some gating?

i love Tool and listen then them a lot.

i especially like the Bass on Sober.

but as good as the Bass is IMO Danny's an absolutely great Drummer. i love the way he uses his Snare Drum without the Snares on.

I would reccomend trying a Bass Pod from Line 6. I have the guitar version and they are great for getting a lot of different tones for under $250.

From Justin Chancellor himself:

"On a couple of songs I used a slightly different gauge on the bottom strings-a .110 E for the thicker tone, a little less ambient string sound, and more crunch. Most of the songs are in drop D tuning, the rest in standard. Overall, though, I don't think it's changed too much-there's more of the ambient stuff, and the effects have become more experimental. Sometimes I just turned everything on, rode the Wal's volume knob, and let it feed back.

I like to play with the parameters of different pedals. On the title
track, there's a middle section where the band breaks down to
nothing. I started with my flanger all flat, and then I played with
each parameter-I don't even know specifically what I'm doing with each pedal-but it just starts to warp and get further awy from pure bass tone. When the song finally kicks back in, the flanger's off and you're all the way back."

crosswind,

I am definitely not a Tool fan but I subscribe to Bassplayer and Justin was the cover boy last May. They list his recording gear (for the most recent album) and his current live gear but I am assuming it is his recorded sound you are after so here goes:

Wall Basses - as mentioned above,

three signal chanels to the board;
1 - DI from Demeter VTBP-201-L
2 - Overdriven sound from a miked Mesa/Boogie M-200 and 8-10 cab
3 - miked clean tone from a Bass 400+ and 8-10 cab.

Effects include; ProCo Turbo Rat distortion pedal, Digitech Bass Whammy, SansAmp GT2, Boss flanger, chorus and EQ pedals.

It must be nice to be able to record three seperate tracks for just the bass and mix/match later. Most of the big projects/producers do this now. I am limited to a 4-track cassette so I can mix more than one signal but I usually have to commit myself to recording to just one track.

I hope this helps with some ideas to get the sound you are looking for.
:cool:

Wow!

I didn't realize what exactly Justin was using, but the closest I've come to his sound is using my Rickenbacker in dropped-D tuning through a flange pedal, wah pedal and all this played through a Gallien-Krueger head and cabinet.

Does this mean I need more stuff to be successful?:D

Randall

Ah what a mess we contrive when we first begin to rationalize!:D

Actually I think rationalization is required to persue music as a hobby anyway so I doubt any of us here a newbies to this area.

Make of it what you will ...if it makes it easier to go on a shopping spree and you have the $$ enjoy.

Of course there are several pro's who swear by GK Heads including Flea. But then again rationalization takes over and you say to yourself...self but I don't want to sound like Flea I want that Tool kind of sound so....A=B and I want to sound like A so I get the B equipment A has and I can finally sound like A.... see you can even rationalize with algebra if you try hard enough. I could go on but you are already heading to your favorite website to check out the prices.

Let me know if you get it I am living viacareously through those of you that have $$ to buy stuff.
:D

I like Justin's tone too, but I think there is a bit more going on than just his individual tone. The tonal qualities of Danny's kick and toms along with Adam's exclusive use of the warm sound of Gibson guitars allows Justin's bass to stand out much more expressively than if he was playing in a different setting. Plus he uses a pick which brings out more of the top-end frequencies of his bass strings..

I was leaning toward Justin's sound when I got the Zoom II bass pedal and found a default setting that was exactly what I was looking for.. but what I discovered was that I had to make some adjustments in the frequencies of other instruments to make it blend in right..

Cy

Cryrokk,

Sonds like some very valid points. I have often been very frustrated with my recorded bass tone even at pro studio's
because I would like the my live tone or direct tone singled out but when everything else was mixed in my bass was swallowed up. It seemed like all the engineers I worked with had bass tone last on their priority list :mad:

Equipment is only 1/2 the equation personal nuances in technique can not be bought at any price.

Just out of curiosity which preset on the Zoom II sounded close to Justin? I have the Zoom II also. I don't think I have ever heard them. I'm more into Jazz and non hardcore/abbrasive alternative ...getting older I suppose.

You're right Scooter. Every time I've recorded in a studio, my bass was always overriden by both guitar(s) and drums. The only time I've gotten a break was when we recorded with an engineer that happened to be a bass player. Therefore, he understood the lack of compassion some studios have for bassists.

Oh, by the way Scooter, I don't own that GK equipment I was speaking of earlier. I had the opportunity to borrow that equipment from a friend with the $$, while he was moving. (I'll never play through my, don't laugh, Peavey practice amp again. I've been spoiled!)

Later,

Randall

PS Has crosswind's question been answered to his satisfaction, yet?

Randall 74,

I think we covered crosswinds question but have not heard back from him.

I won't laugh about the peavy practice amp I still have one myself. I don't drag the 15" cab or the 2-10 cab in the house too often... only when the wife is gone.
I traded in my Peavy Mark VI head wich was actually not bad biamped. I uesed a Peavey Bandit for the highs (open back 12") that really made the highs and harmonics sparkle especially with the built in chorus going only to the highs. I bought an SWR Workinmans head and the overall tone is richer but the highs don't have that sparkle like the biamped rig.

My best results at home so far did not come untill I added an ART TubePac after the Sansamp wich helped fatten things up quite a bit. I don't really go for any overdriven bass sounds unless I am covering a song with it or in an unusually distorted mood.

Scooter B said:
Just out of curiosity which preset on the Zoom II sounded close to Justin? I have the Zoom II also. I don't think I have ever heard them.

The preset is under "B-2". I'd give you the name of the preset but I can't seem to find the instructions that came with the pedal.. The tone has an open feel that works especially well with a new set of strings strapped on.. The sound is also similar to that used on Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime" and "Empire"

Back