Those Fender Vintage-Noiseless Pickups

steveaustin

Ok, excluding the HYPE, has anyone tried these pickups?
I did awhile back but they were in a mega-expensive strat. Nothing can be 'exactly' as something else & improved, but do they come close & how do they sound under heavy distortion or compare to the Eric Johnson tone?

My American Deluxe is equipped with those p/u's and I LOVE 'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Creamy smooth on distortion and the bridge p/u has a wonderful punchy tone.

I have absolutely no idea how it relates to EJ's sound 'cos I don't care one way or the other - I like the tone as I hear it! :)

Bruce

If your looking for real good vintage sounding, noiseless single coil pickups, check out the Bill Lawrence 280's. They are great pickups and are noiseless but sound like vintage single coils and they are only $40 a piece.

EJ uses original equipment pickups in his vintage strat as opposed to the lace sensors (thats what I assume you refer to).Last time I saw him he was playing a '57 tobbacco sunburst as his main axe but he had 4 or 5 strats he kept changing depending on the song.Clapton has been using the lace sensors for years ,so anything recent by him will let you know.But don't be confused 'cause his famous "woman-tone" is really an ES335 into a overdriven tube head and not a strat.
Bruce,everybody loves the woody neck tone on old strats.Can you get that with the sensors?

Tom

Nope they're not Sensors - they do look like the originals (6 poles), even have the "artificially aged" bone-color p/u covers.

Bruce

The lace sensors (gold) in my strat plus sound so great & diffenately different than stnd coils. Kind of darker as some of you may know. Just looking to build a pickguard w/ pots, etc. to drop in an American Std or maybe just bored!

i've a Virtual Vintage pickup which i feel is really smooth. It's may not sound as twangy as the real vintage single coil but it comes quite close. It's not really 'noiseless' as i expected it to be but it's acceptable for some home recording.

i do recommend them !

AWESOME sound...

I just put a set of 3 in a Mexican Strat and improved the sound
more than I could have imagined. It's like the difference between a cassette and a CD. No noise, GREAT tone in all pickup positions.
Best $140.00 I ever spent. Improved the sound of my POD as well. Bonus!

Overall I prefer the Gold. There's a Silver or Blue somewhere around here. The Red is just to harsh, goes beyond clear to LOUD.

And, I don't mind a little noise. Kind of like listening to an LP.

I'm a vintage kind of guy,but the noiseless pickups by Fender sound really good.........I think that they nailed the '50s twang and top end without the noise.

Back