Tele EMG mod

gritzy

This is along the lines of the last thread (knowing a guitar) but I'm looking for some specific advice on a mod that I am planning on getting done to my electric. To begin with, someone in that thread mentioned a friend who was a skilled player but wouldn't even go so far as to change his own strings. Well, I change my own strings, but I didn't even start doing that until I'd been playing for three or four years, and that's currently about as far as my knowledge extends. So this mod will be done by a trained professional. Anyway, on to the mod...

I have a circa mid-eighties Japanese Telecaster with a custom pickup arrangement of S/S/H (dunno the brand of p-ups). I've been playing the guitar for about five years now and I'm pretty comfortable with it. I like the way it plays and the tone is decent, but I'm not all that impressed with the electronics. While the tone is ok, it lacks some consistency; a little murky in the lows and something...the volume or presence or something...changes between each range. I can't seem to work these discrepencies out with my amp's EQ and the tone knob on the guitar is useful only from like the 8.5 to 10 section of the dial. I've been able to deal with these things for as long as I've had the guitar, but now I have the proper funds and the interest to make a change.

So I'm planning to upgrade to EMGs to give me a little boost and some consistency in my tone. Here's my proposal. I think I want the EMG-FT in the neck, a EMG-RT in the middle, and maybe an 81 in the bridge for a humbucker. Contrary to what someone said in the "How well do you know your guitar" thread, I'm a Tele owner who isn't all that concerned with "that Tele sound." I just want sweet tone with some bite.

So if anyone has any personal and/or professional knowledge and/or actual experience with such a mod, please let me know what you think. I mean, I know that the RT is designed with the bridge position in mind, but it should sound fine in the middle, right? Also, there are combo EMG systems that include two single coil SAs and either an 81 or an 85 in the bridge. Would this be better for what I have in mind? I've read that the EMG-FT is EMG's best pickup and is designed for a Telecaster so I think I want that incorporated. But as I mentioned earlier, the Tele sound isn't my number one priority so maybe the FT is too much. I love the guitar but is the entire mod too much money for the guitar that's being modified? Anyway, I'm uncertain. Be honest. Any advice is welcomed.

gritzy

It's all a matter of taste but I would not put EMG's on a Tele. I have two guitars with EMG's including 89's and SA's. Niether of these two guitars have as much "bite" as some of my other guitars with PAF's or alnico single coils. The EMG's are on my gigging guitars for noise elimination purposes but I think they sound a bit "artificial". I have done several side-by-side comparisons and I prefer passive pickups. JMHO!!!

I've had EMG's installed in bolth my strats .One cheap jap. and one more expensive USA.And I love the sound of them.If you really like the guit and it stays in tune and plays great then go for it.I had a pro install the pickups...I think that it was about 30.00 or so.Also the mid 80's Fenders japanese Strats and Teles are pretty nice guitars..

Don

Have you considered the possibility of sticking to your passive pickups but upgrading to active electronics? I have EMGs in my bass and they sound great but they do have a totally different character to passives... might be worth investigating if you like the tone of your guitar but just want to have more control over it.

I just installed an EMG 81 into the bridge of one of my ESP's. It sounds great through a tube amp, but the output is a little hot for modeling amps. In particular, adding a little extra boost to the input of an all tube amp can generate extra sweetness in a distorted tone by pushing the initial stage into subtle saturation. The same effect does not work as well with a modeling/emulation amp.

I personally only use the 81 with my tube amps because of its high output. If you want your Telecaster to become a hotter guitar, go for the 81 upgrade.

Also, note that if you upgrade to the 81, you'll have to deal with always unplugging your axe to prevent battery drain. You'll also have to deal with dead battery and changing hassles.

Matt

Back