Studio Guitars

CJWalker

Any recomendations for an all around electric guitar for a home studio. Im lookin for lots of sounds and versatility. Hamer seems to be a good choice right now cause of the price and quality. Thanks for your suggestions.

I think you can get a new G&L ASAT Classic for around $795. I can't decide if I want one of these next or a Godin Multiac. I haven't played the Godin yet, but the ASAT is very nice--and versatile.

Although I don't think I'd ever use one - cos it's not a cool shape :D - I don't think you could go past a Strat with a humbucker in the bridge position. I think you could just about be able to create every popular guitar tone with one of these. If you go with a Mexican strat then you get a well-made guitar at pretty good price.

I'm a Fender strat fan, but by far, the most versatile guitar in the world is the Tele. If you want to make it even better, throw some Hot Rails in the bridge and it will scream like a stuck pig. Don't be afraid to buy Mexican.(There sound and play great).

I pretty much stick with my Gibson Blueshawk. It is very comfortable to play and the two Blues 90 pick-ups put out a great sound. The guitar has a dummy coil on the inside with a six position switch to mix with the two humbuckers..this allows for an incredible amount of versitility. It is a bit limited if you're looking for a huge crunchy sound, but all around the tone is great.

Plus it is semi-hollow and I love f-holes!

I'm sorry, did I type that out loud?

I would go for a good used guitar. If you can find a Jap. Squire Strat that would be good, or an 80's model Kramer. It shouldn't be to hard to find a good used guitar for under $350. Maybe you have something you could trade in on it too.

It depends on where in the overall spectrum of guitar music you want to be.
If you start at the jazzy end of the line and want to go to the bluesy/rocky center, then a Gibson 335/345/355 thinline type of instrument will fit the bill. Also look at the Ibanez Artist two humbuckers coil-tap guitars.
Towards the middle, you can't go wrong with a Strat. (or a G&L) Lots of variety and great tonal range.
More towards the rock/country end of things, a Telecaster would be the choice.

... and the best choice? One of each!!!

(c:]

foo

I just picked up a Godin LGX. A great guitar. Realistic acoustic sounds, two SD humbuckers, three outputs. I am playing it this weekend at the Downtown Detroit Hoedown. I highly recommend this guitar.

CJ,

What are you playing now? I was looking for versatility a while ago and first looked at a new guitar. I decided against spending that much and checked out stacked humbuckers for the bridge (I have a Strat). I ended up getting an EMG David Gilmour set (cost me $229 at a local Sam Ash). This comes with three SA pickups and two built in preamps that replace the tone controls. One boosts the mids while lowering the highs and lows, the other does the opposite. Listen to them if you can first. Some people have said they sound "sterile" and not quite like a real Strat pickup. I wasn't neccessarily looking for authentic Strat sound and thought these sounded just a little bit different.

If you'll do the installation yourself then this is really easy (I didn't have the guts to try it, but the store only charged a small installation fee so I let them do it). Everything comes on a preassembled pickguard (pickups, pickup switch, vol, mid boost, jack, and hi/lo boost).

If you go with the EMGs, make sure you check on their backlog before ordering. I ordered mine last April and around Thanksgiving I finally decided I waited too long. Just as I started looking around again they arrived. The wait really pissed me off but once I got them put in I was pretty happy with the results.

Personally I think the Gibson explorer, SG, or Les Paul Gothics are a great deal, $600 @ Musicians friend. I hear that they're killer.

You don't mention you price range...but I've gotta echo the Paul Reed Smith endorsements. I've got a cherry sunburst Custom 24 that every time I pick it up I want to thank the guy that sold it to me. Very versatile for recording...you can make it sound like a Strat, like a Les Paul, and a bunch of other sounds in between.

I've got a '72 Telecaster with a Seymor Duncan stacked humbucking in the bridge position. I can get a multitude of tone out of this beast and you can use it to swing your way out of a bar fight and it's still in tune!

Back