Strings keep snapping...!!

Obstacle1

Hey,

The b and top e strings on my guitar keep snapping very regularly - i'm not an aggressive player so I've ruled out that as the reason. Could it be anythin to do with the bridge or the nut? I've noticed that they also down-tune very easily and quickly too.

Couple of questions.

Do they always break in the same place? What guitar are you playing. Do they tune up and down smoothly, ie do you get any creaks etc when tuning. The most common cause of string breaks unrelated to playing style are down to badly cut nut slots, badly finished saddle, sharp edges on the tuners and possible a badly finished rough fret.

A few more details may help narrow it down.

I'd first check for any little metal burs in the groove of the bridge. If by scraping your fingernail along the surfaces it hangs up on a bur, that could be your problem (assuming that's where they are breaking). I'd get some fine grit sandpaper and just try to carefully smooth out all the surfaces that come in contact with the string. It doesn't take much to saw through a string as it vibrates against a sharp piece of metal.

sounds like the nut to me.

another problem spot to check is the bridge plate on fender guitars. those holes just under the saddles can be a little rough sometimes. you should be able to tell where the problem is by looking at where the strings are breaking.

Rule of thumb here guys is, If the break is in the same place everytime then the problem is right there. If the break is in a different place each time then it is likely the nut that is at fault. Lets wait and see what guitar and where the breaks are before we confuse the debate :)

Also, make sure you are stretching the strings after putting them on--not doing so will break those top strings every time.

Since you've said they tune down, I would suspect that's your problem.

Nuts are very rarely the problem. If so, try lubricating the nut with graphite (pencil) or a dab of Vaseline.

The bridge saddles are the second most likely.

myramyd said:
Nuts are very rarely the problem. If so, try lubricating the nut with graphite (pencil) or a dab of Vaseline.

The bridge saddles are the second most likely.
The nut is very often the problem. We still dont know where the string is breaking or what the guitar is so it is impossible to guess at the cause other than to list the most common causes. In order that would be, nut, saddle, tuners, a rough fret, bad string.

Back