speaker choice - governer/vintage 30?

productive

i play grind/metal type music, and wanted to get a better sound out of my cabinet. i was thinking to buy a set of the following speakers to use with my 5150 in a closedback cab:

celestion vintage 30 or G12H80
Eminence Governer or Tonka
or maybe something else... i dunno.

i play very loud. check out www.antagony.com for the style that i am playing.

also, what do people think about using two different types of speaker in the same cab?

thanks for the help.

-kyle-

wow great sound...remembers me burzum... well i'm not in this music biz but i hear alot in my mastering studio...

well for the speakers i have to say again: it not depends which gear you buy.
two types of speakers are ok in the same cab. take care to place them well! you can use "normal" low range speakers (active) with a good spectrum! e.g. samson got at the moment. then place bit farer away some other speakers. (i have to be careful when i say): they can be lower quality... this can be greatful to listen to both at same time or one after the other. like this you can sort of precheck if sound is doin well on other gear... sorry for my english.. if you dont understand ill try to write it dif.

greets y.

i have never checked out samson, i dont quite understand what you mean with the speaker placement. do you mean by having a second cab, or within the same cab? thanks for the feedback.
-kyle-

productive said:
i have never checked out samson, i dont quite understand what you mean with the speaker placement. do you mean by having a second cab, or within the same cab? thanks for the feedback.
-kyle-
same cab.
place studio monitors on your ears altitude, then u can place a second pair of monitors above them..

Go with the Celestions. I would go for the 80's but 75's and 70's would work too. Vintage 30's are the ones in mesa cabinets (normally) so they will work as well. Don't get the eminence, they aren't right for your sound.

I think Aquit music is talking about studio monitors.

A friend of mine tried a Governor and Tonker in a closed back 212 and gave them a glowig review when used together. I believe the Governor is Eminences V30 clone (as opposed to the V12 which is their V30-ish speaker with "smoother highs"). If you're looking at the V30, you might also look at the Hellatone broken-in speakers at avatarspeakers.com

Get ElectroVoice 200 watters.

Then you don't have to mess with it anymore.

hey Farview,
why do you say that eminence would be right for the type of sound i am playing? I am asking because i have read that the governer sounds much like the vintage 30, which seems like my best option, and it costs a good amount less.

also does anyone have anything to say about the celestion G12K85's which i havent tried yet but have a pair available, as well as the celestion modern lead? which ones would go better with vintage 30's since i have both at my disposal.
thanks again
-kyle-

The govenor sounds vintage 30-ish but you wouldn't confuse the two. With celestions, the higher the wattage, the tighter the low end. If you are not relying on speaker breakup for your distortion, the 85 watters will be good for you. (nice and tight)

Back